Bead, fiber optics, or red dot for your shotgun?

dust

I'm looking at purchasing a shotgun this year for predators. The ones I am looking at have one of the three choices in the thread title. I have always used beads for birds, but haven't used a shotgun on anything else. What is your preference?

morning, i have 3 shotguns for hunting coyotes and deer. 1 is a weatherby

semi auto 3" waterfowl, the other is a 11-87 sps rem. semi auto. i had

both fitted with warne weaver steel rails, and i had the Eotech's i mounted

and sighted on both shotguns. the weatherby i use for deer with 00 buchshot.

works great. the rem. i use for anything mostly coyotes. i use #4 buckshot

fed. 41 pellets. the Eotech's work great. i also have a beretta slug gun.

i have a warne steel weaver base, warne 1" rings and a Nikon slugmaster

scope mounted on this gun.

all r extremely accurate and reliable.

all of these shotguns r 3" magnums.

hope this helps. depends on what kind of hunting u r using the weapons?

just country NRA-TSRA life member.lightbulb

Simply put, anything that doesn't require a maximum shot count. Looking at the normal - M3000, Tristar Cobra, 11-87, etc, with a Keltec KSG as the outlier.

I basically use the exact same set up I use for turkeys. Winchester Super X3, Briley Turkey Choke, Winchester XR Turkey loads. We typically hunt in pairs, one with a rifle watching down wind, one with a shotgun. Most are killed with a shotgun. The sights are bead sights.

I had fiber optic 3 dot rifle style open sights on my 870 super mag turkey shotgun. Worked great for coyotes. last year I upgraded to the XS sights with tritium, the front is a big dot and the rear is a vertical line in the middle of a wedge so basically you just make a lolly pop with the sights and shoot. This is now my favorite set up for shotgunning coyotes both day and night. If your shotgun has rifle style sights or your planning on getting one for coyotes only check out the XS sights. Otherwise the fiber optic worked good. I would keep open sights or use something like a leupold delta point red dot before a I would use a scope on a shotgun but thats just me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts