What red dot sight to get for shotgunning coyotes

Korhil78

I am fixing to get a shotgun set up for yote hunting. I just wanted to know what red dot sight you all like to use if you use one. I am looking at the fast fire III right now.

I usually just use a rifle but I had three yotes bust in on me all at the same time and they got away because they were too close. I thought to myself...self, if you had a shotgun, one or two of those yotes would be dead.

I would suggest you forego the red dot for a shotgun that fits you. If the gun fits you well, all you need to do is swing thru the moving target, establish the lead, and pull the trigger. Bird hunters and clay shooters do it all the time. No fancy electronics needed.

Like smalljaw said, I prefer to stick with open sights (just one less thing to mess with, break, etc.) But my eyesight dictates that I need an optic, so I tried the Burris FFIII. It's not what I'd call great, but it does very well for the price point.

Agree with above comments. There's something to be said for a sleek, simple, lightweight setup. Red dots are great and fast but if it were me I would stick with the simple, effective, and cheap standard bead. One disadvantage of red dots compared to beads is that the window can clog with snow or dirt/mud. Likely not a problem in NM but I often get to my hunt areas on ATV/snowmobile in deep snow or mud and often when I raise my gun I have to brush the snow/mud off the sight before I can get a clear sight picture. Don't know your hunting conditions but that may be something to consider.

I do however love my AR with an EOTECH. They are more expensive but you get an extremely rugged optic with a huge field of view and very long battery life for that extra money. May be a little large for a shotgun though.

I also recently started using a shotgun for coyotes. And started with fibre optic sights but have installed a Burris speed bead and love it for both clays and dogs. Using an extra full chock and 3" #4 buck I've flattened three dogs one at 12 yds one at 22yds and one way out at 48 long steps (didn't had the range finder with me at the moment). Basically just like using a RDS on an AR. just the dot where you want and pull dead dog

Tim Titus (No Off Season) got one for Christmas (New Toys and Dead Coyotes). Short write up and a couple of pictures, I'm guessing he's missed this thread, but I bet if you PM him he can update you.
I've got the Fastfire 11 on a .44 carbine, the Fastfire 111 fixes the issues the 11 had. It works but definitely the bottom end of what I'd get doing it over.
I'm an infrequent shotgunner and see benefit from these sights. Especially with fading eyesight.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.