Be gentle with me

Tailgunner

OK so I don't shoot what you consider long distance, my limit is 500yd. And I can't change my rifle / barrel choices (Mark-X, 26" 1-12 shilen #5, 30-06, paralell throat thats long enough to safely shoot any factory ammo, Shepherd 310-P1), as I have just spent all my money having the origional 21.5" 1-12 barrel replaced (eroded throat for the second time).
My question is ammo related. In the old barrel 61.5gr RL-19 behind a 150gr NBT was giving 1/2 moa, and I do intend trying it in the new tube. Can you give me any recogmendations for heavier bullet loading, considering the twist rate? Main usage is whitetail over hay fields, with some paper shooting during the summer.
Sorry about being so windy.

You can probably get away with the 180 gr NBT with a 1:12" twist, but I have found that the 165 is the best of both worlds. It seem to be just right for .308/.30/06 speeds and really does a number on deer. Back down to about 55 gr of R19 and work your way back up... Good Luck

Thanks Chris
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts