Barrel shank dia 1.25" vs 1.35"

JARHEAD1371

Is there an advantage to going with a 1.35" dia barrel shank? I'm rebarreling a 591 and the original barrel is 1.35" which is the same dia as the action. Does the larger dia make a difference in mating with the action? The new barrel will only be 24" and will have an Ultra 7 suppressor on it.

Thanks for any info shared.

I guess I should edit my comment... if the action threads are small enough and the shoulder is large enough and you don't care about the way it looks then I would think it would be fine.

A Surgeon 591 should have 1.062" diameter threads. People usually use a 1.250" or a 1.200" barrel diameter for that size thread. There would be no disadvantage, that I know of, in using a 1.350" diameter barrel. It is arguable if there would be an advantage. A 1.350" diameter barrel is generally used on actions that have 1.125" threads and heavy barrels, such as a Surgeon 1581 action.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.