barrel selection

I know I'm gonna get **** for this but, I just had my Howa 1500 re barreled to a 6x45. I sent in my barreled action and it came back ready to bolt on and shoot. Total cost for barrel chamber and bluing was $385. it was a budget build and I went with ER Shaw. Now I was worried what id get for the price, but I had such a great experience with them total package. Rifle shoots sub 3/4 as of now and am not finished with load builds. That is with standard coal ill move to longer on the next ladder. I'm actually much much happier with the service than I was with my build from a well known smith from PA.
I still like the high dollar stuff but am really pleased with what I got for the money and will use them again for short to mid range weapons.

ER Shaw did a 6.5 Creedmoor for me on a Ruger action that shoots very well. I just built myself a Savage with a barrel from PacNor. More than your 300 dollar range, but I had it fluted and threaded for a brake, and cerakoted. Price was pretty reasonable for all that, only negative was the 7 months I had to wait for it, but they say good things come to those who wait. And they were right in this case.

You might consider IT&D custom guns. They use douglas barrels and will rebarrel for a very reasonable rate. I haven't used them but they seem to have happy customers.

Home

Have several Criterion barrels....every one is outstanding! Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply will tell you the same.

There are some pre-chambered barrels out there. But unless you have the tools to install it, fit the lug, check headspace, finish the chamber, etc. you are better off using a smith. It is not as simple as screwing it down and shooting. Building a rifle from scratch takes a bit of "scratch." If aren't looking to spend the money to do it right, you are better off buying off the shelf.

Good luck

Agreed. Not to mention, it is so important that you have a very good gunsmith chamber it for you. It has been my experience that there are NOT many out there so do your research and find a good one.

Good Luck

You can get a remmy 700 barrel with a nut system for $545 from us. Those are like savage barrels, but you still need atleast one headspace gauge, a wrench and vise.
Its gonna be really tough to stay under that $$. Finding something used would be good.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Just my opinion, but if you can't do the work yourself, I would buy a Remington 700 Long Range chambered in 7mm Remington Mag before spending that kind of money for a blank and having it installed. Factory Remington barrels shoot very good, and a properly bedded and free floated Remington 700 will shoot 1/2 MOA easily, especially the new heavy barreled Long Range rifles.
Jud, just to confirm what you are saying about Rem. barrels, I recently bought a 26" barrel Rem. 700 ADL Varmint contour .308. Paid $ 449.00 at Cabelas. Prepped the barrel before breaking in.
With hand load consisting of 168 gr. Berger, IMI Match Case, 8208 XBR powder, and Russian Primer, shot 3/4" @ 300 yds. Even with the bad stock and trigger they put into this rifle it shot like this. Remington does rule indeed.

............. SARGESNIPER

Jud, just to confirm what you are saying about Rem. barrels, I recently bought a 26" barrel Rem. 700 ADL Varmint contour .308. Paid $ 449.00 at Cabelas. Prepped the barrel before breaking in.
With hand load consisting of 168 gr. Berger, IMI Match Case, 8208 XBR powder, and Russian Primer, shot 3/4" @ 300 yds. Even with the bad stock and trigger they put into this rifle it shot like this. Remington does rule indeed.

............. SARGESNIPER

This is the exact same rifle I purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods last summer. It was my first modern factory rifle I have purchased and earned every bit of the $549 I paid for it at my summer job. I purchased it in .243 because I was mainly looking for a mid-range varmint and plinking rifle. I topped it with a VX-III Leupold 6.5-20x40 Target scope that I also worked all summer for and I am very happy with the combo. I was working up loads in it after pillar bedding, glass bedding, floating the barrel and action sides, tuning the trigger, and breaking in the barrel. I shot an 87gr Hornady BTHP with varying powders including RL-19, IMR 4350, and H-4350. Even with varying velocities and charges, it shot a .207 6 shot group while shooting through the chrony and I wasn't even trying until I saw the first two went through the same hole. Now this was only 50yds but it will shoot just slightly bigger groups at 100yds. I'm sure if every one of them rounds I shot through the chrony had my stand bye load of 44.0gr of IMR 4350 there would be even a smaller group. But who am I? I don't shoot BR so I don't know what's going on. HAHA! :rolleyes:

This is the exact same rifle I purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods last summer. It was my first modern factory rifle I have purchased and earned every bit of the $549 I paid for it at my summer job. I purchased it in .243 because I was mainly looking for a mid-range varmint and plinking rifle. I topped it with a VX-III Leupold 6.5-20x40 Target scope that I also worked all summer for and I am very happy with the combo. I was working up loads in it after pillar bedding, glass bedding, floating the barrel and action sides, tuning the trigger, and breaking in the barrel. I shot an 87gr Hornady BTHP with varying powders including RL-19, IMR 4350, and H-4350. Even with varying velocities and charges, it shot a .207 6 shot group while shooting through the chrony and I wasn't even trying until I saw the first two went through the same hole. Now this was only 50yds but it will shoot just slightly bigger groups at 100yds. I'm sure if every one of them rounds I shot through the chrony had my stand bye load of 44.0gr of IMR 4350 there would be even a smaller group. But who am I? I don't shoot BR so I don't know what's going on. HAHA! :rolleyes:

Good to hear. I had a .243 years ago, (Ruger), and could not get it to shoot like I thought it should. It was hampered by a 20" barrel. May have been the problem as I was pushing hard on velocity. It was a hunting rifle also. I have had good results with a Savage in .260. It started out as a 6.5x.284 but the barrel went before I could enjoy it. This rifle is an F-12 30" barrel. Monster of a rifle but it shot very well while the barrel lasted. Took it to a fellow I know and had it rebarreled with a 30" .260 Bartlein. I wont say how good it shoots for the sake of starting another " p-----g match.

I tried SUPERFORMANCE Powder in the .260 and found a good load with good speed to boot. You may want to give SF a go in your .243 in the near future. I get over 3100 fps. with a 123 Lapua and shoots VG out to 300. Lets say that GOLF BALLS are in danger at 300. H-4831 is also a stellar powder with a 139 Lapua. It will shoot right along side of the SF and 123 load. I am hoping to join a club here in LA. that has a 600 yd range as this .260 is shooting so well @ 300. I won't feel like I am doing the rifle justice until I shoot it at a longer distance. Wish I could go longer but around here I am lucky to have a friend with a 300 yd. range on his property.

Good luck with the .243. I know it will shoot for you. After all, "Its a Remington".
............... SARGESNIPER

Good to hear. I had a .243 years ago, (Ruger), and could not get it to shoot like I thought it should. It was hampered by a 20" barrel. May have been the problem as I was pushing hard on velocity. It was a hunting rifle also. I have had good results with a Savage in .260. It started out as a 6.5x.284 but the barrel went before I could enjoy it. This rifle is an F-12 30" barrel. Monster of a rifle but it shot very well while the barrel lasted. Took it to a fellow I know and had it rebarreled with a 30" .260 Bartlein. I wont say how good it shoots for the sake of starting another " p-----g match.

I tried SUPERFORMANCE Powder in the .260 and found a good load with good speed to boot. You may want to give SF a go in your .243 in the near future. I get over 3100 fps. with a 123 Lapua and shoots VG out to 300. Lets say that GOLF BALLS are in danger at 300. H-4831 is also a stellar powder with a 139 Lapua. It will shoot right along side of the SF and 123 load. I am hoping to join a club here in LA. that has a 600 yd range as this .260 is shooting so well @ 300. I won't feel like I am doing the rifle justice until I shoot it at a longer distance. Wish I could go longer but around here I am lucky to have a friend with a 300 yd. range on his property.

Good luck with the .243. I know it will shoot for you. After all, "Its a Remington".
............... SARGESNIPER

Haha I like your Remington quote. Anyway, if I ever happen to shoot the barrel out of my .243 it will become a .260 or .260 AI. I want to shoot 123gr A-MAXs or 140gr A-MAXs. This would create an excellent long range multi-purpose rifle. Has high BC, fairly quick velocities, light recoil to witness hits, and most of all accuracy. I have recently really been looking into the .260 for its versatility. With a 26" tube I will be able to launch 123 A-MAXs with a .510 BC around 2950fps, matching the 105s in a .243 but load up a 140 with a .585 BC at 2800fps and now you are really talking!

Haha I like your Remington quote. Anyway, if I ever happen to shoot the barrel out of my .243 it will become a .260 or .260 AI. I want to shoot 123gr A-MAXs or 140gr A-MAXs. This would create an excellent long range multi-purpose rifle. Has high BC, fairly quick velocities, light recoil to witness hits, and most of all accuracy. I have recently really been looking into the .260 for its versatility. With a 26" tube I will be able to launch 123 A-MAXs with a .510 BC around 2950fps, matching the 105s in a .243 but load up a 140 with a .585 BC at 2800fps and now you are really talking!

Yes, with a 26" barrel you will probably get the velocity but maybe not the best accuracy. You will probably find accuracy with a 139 gr. at somewhere around 2830. Mine shoots well with both123's and 139's. My barrel is longer than that at 30"' it gets plenty velocity. 3100+ with 123 and 2900 with 139. I don't load for speed alone though. I am in it for the accuracy. I'll tell you a little story about the Golf Ball thing.
I was shooting 300 yds. with friends. Had a 3" spinning gong that had a hole just smaller than a Golf Ball in the middle. I shot the gong and nothing! Again shot it and nothing. Tried once more and friends started to smile then giggle. I told them I was shooting through the hole and this brought out full laughter. Not to be deterred I asked Jim if he had a Golf Ball to put in the hole. He did and I drove to the gong and put it in the hole. Launched a round and no more Golf Ball. Their jaws dropped and quit jabbing me. That is the kind of accuracy this cartridge is capable of. If you ever do a barrel job I would recommend a Bartlein barrel with 8 1/2 twist. You are correct about recoil of the .260. Mine barely moves in the rest compared to a .308. It weighs a lot more than my .308's too. Must weigh 16 lbs. or more. I have a 12-42x56 NF BR scope on it that is heavy also.

SARGESNIPER

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.