barrel selection

harleybug

I'm currently building a rem 700 in 7 rem mag and I'm trying to choose and price out barrels. I don't quite understand that the budget sniper rifle article when it says 300 for an aftermarket barrel. Everything I'm reading is 300 for a blank that doesn't include threading and clambering. I am trying to choose a sendero style barrel but I was trying to get one that's ready to install, minus a little Smith work. I would like to stay under 400. Is this possible any advice is appreciated.

There are some pre-chambered barrels out there. But unless you have the tools to install it, fit the lug, check headspace, finish the chamber, etc. you are better off using a smith. It is not as simple as screwing it down and shooting. Building a rifle from scratch takes a bit of "scratch." If aren't looking to spend the money to do it right, you are better off buying off the shelf.

Good luck

I'm not worried about the building part that's not a problem for me my issue is if there is ready to install barrels out there for under 400. The Smith work I can do myself

Building a rifle isn't just about spending lots of money there are ways to save money also while building and that's what I'm trying to do I don't want to spend 800 dollars on just the barrel

I would like to stay under 400. Is this possible any advice is appreciated.

I don't believe you could do it for that amount of money unless you found something on the used market.
Most special order barrels come bored and rifled only. You, or your gun smith, is the guy who chambers and fits it to the action. That's probably another $300, not including the price of the reamer if you or he doesn't happen to have one on hand.
Take a look at Bartlein 5R barrels in the contour and caliber you prefer. They shoot very well.

I'm currently building a rem 700 in 7 rem mag and I'm trying to choose and price out barrels. I don't quite understand that the budget sniper rifle article when it says 300 for an aftermarket barrel. Everything I'm reading is 300 for a blank that doesn't include threading and clambering. I am trying to choose a sendero style barrel but I was trying to get one that's ready to install, minus a little Smith work. I would like to stay under 400. Is this possible any advice is appreciated.
For about 800.00 you can get most of the better known barrel guys to finish you a barrel, true the receiver and install it.

Benchmark and Krieger for sure will unless they've gone up on their prices in the last few months. There are at least a half dozen or more quality barrel guys out there you can count on doing a great job for you in that general price range.

I know I'm gonna get **** for this but, I just had my Howa 1500 re barreled to a 6x45. I sent in my barreled action and it came back ready to bolt on and shoot. Total cost for barrel chamber and bluing was $385. it was a budget build and I went with ER Shaw. Now I was worried what id get for the price, but I had such a great experience with them total package. Rifle shoots sub 3/4 as of now and am not finished with load builds. That is with standard coal ill move to longer on the next ladder. I'm actually much much happier with the service than I was with my build from a well known smith from PA.
I still like the high dollar stuff but am really pleased with what I got for the money and will use them again for short to mid range weapons.

That's more in the range I am trying to stay in I don't want to spend more than 4 but willing to go a little higher. I just want to try and get a descent deal, I don't have enough budget to just throw money at any company out there. This is my first long range rifle so I don't need top dollar but I don't want junk either so I'm tryin to find that middle ground.

... Total cost for barrel chamber and bluing was $385

Was that barrel chamber(ed) and bluing or chamber, barrel, and bluing? It's difficult to vision that you'd buy a new barrel, chambered, blued and fitted to the action for that price. I assume they had the reamer in their inventory.
On Second Thought - - - - -
Wow!!! I just looked at their pricing on the web site:
http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-price-list.php
I don't know anything about this company but I just might try something they build to see how good it actually is.
Great job of shopping there Snox.. you make a great point man.)

Just my opinion, but if you can't do the work yourself, I would buy a Remington 700 Long Range chambered in 7mm Remington Mag before spending that kind of money for a blank and having it installed. Factory Remington barrels shoot very good, and a properly bedded and free floated Remington 700 will shoot 1/2 MOA easily, especially the new heavy barreled Long Range rifles.

Buy a "Remage" barrel from mcgowen or criterion. Both will be under $400 for a chambered barrel and you will just need to buy a barrel nut as part of your installation tools.

I appreciate the info I think I'm going to try the er Shaw company great price and good reviews.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.