280 AI barrel selection

Rok1167

I have a personal predicament selecting the contour for a 280 AI. Pretty much set on it being a Criterion for prefit application. This is intended to be a hunting rifle where weight is a strong consideration.

The Criterion sporter contour options are limited:
-Sporter @ 24", 2.95 lb, muzzle dia 0.593
-Heavy Sporter @ 24", 3.38 lb, muzzle dia 0.705

The internal struggles are:
1. is there an accuracy difference between those two options, generally?
2. a 9/16 thread on the Sporter contour does not leave enough shoulder for a break. A 1/2 thread leave less than recommended barrel thickness.

Any input on those items would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time diving into something like this.

AB7BF31C-9866-4663-BF42-B73BB38A7FB1.jpeg

Here's a print of the exact Criterion barrel I have in .280AI (heavy sporter). It went into a Savage action and bedded into a B&C stock. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to pack it around on a hunt as is. Like MagMan said..."Save a half pound somewhere else." The recoil imho isn't substantial enough to warrant a brake, but to each his own. Good luck with your decision. You're gonna love that Criterion prefit no matter which way you go.

Either one will work. But....You are only talking 6.5oz. If you want to go with the heavier contour (which I probably would....
Take a pis$ before you hit the trail. 6.5oz gone.
Drink a half bottle of water at the truck to prehydrate....8 oz gone.
Only tale 2 knives instead of 3, 6+ oz gone.
Leave one granola bar out of your pack. 6 oz gone.

I'd say how a rifle balances or feels in your hand is a consideration also. But if you mainly shoot prone, off a pack, or with shooting sticks it won't matter unless you can't lighten your load elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll go with the heavier contour.

Related, is there any significant accuracy difference between barrels of this sporter type contour?

I've found a little barrel heavy rifle settles better on field rests like sticks or tripods. You'll never notice 6ish more ounces. Now if you want a sheep rifle drop the 6 ounces go with a super light stock and forget about the heavier barrel and be happy with a standard range hunting rifle.

Chances are the lighter barrel will be every bit as accurate as the heavier one (for 3-5 shots) but weight makes it easier to shoot generally. I had a 300 win with a 3b Bart Savage prefit, .730 24" I think, It was quite front heavy. All depends on use and balance preference. If your tracking bulls with it in your hands or only packing it to a stand or ridgetop then plunking it down are two different things. I do both , I went carbon on my new build. Love the balance of this one.
Anyway, some thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts