Help! 280 AI Barrel Length

stanley52

I am having a 280 AI built with a blueprinted 700 LA, and either a Krieger or Bartlein MTU M24/M40 or something along those lines of barrel thickness with a manner MCS-T2A stock, and Timney trigger.

My question is what barrel length should I go with. I am inexperienced with the 280 AI, but I have heard great things and I am pretty much set on it. I was thinking a 26" finish with a score-hi tactical muzzle break, but I would enjoy others' opinions. Thanks

When I build mine it will have the same basic barrel as yours (M24 / Mil contour) 26" finished length, 11* recessed match crown, etc... Except I won't be putting a brake on mine. But that's just personal preference.

I think 26" is the best all-around barrel length. 24" for a .308 Win, and 26" for all long-action calibers, regardless of contour.

That's just my opinion on things...Doesn't make it right or wrong. :cool:

A lot depends on the type of rifle you want to carry. The Manners MCS-T2A is a great stock, albeit on the heavy side (4 lbs) for a hunting rig. If weight is going to be a concern, you could save a little by going with a 24" barrel. For me, a 26" barrel would be the optimal length, but then everything is a trade-off. Either way, it should be a great rig.

If you should decide on a 28" barrel, I have something that might interest you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.