Barrel manufacturers

TK 1985

I know "best" barrel has been debated to the ends of the earth. What I am asking is there a barrel manufacturer that really shines with the lightweight barrels as far as accuracy? Steel barrels that is, no carbon fiber wrapped, every one of those I see is at least a pound heavier than a featherweight or #1.

Pick anyone of the big names and they will make a good barrel regardless of contour.

I think it's a great question, because the reality is that it takes special efforts to make good shooting light contour barrels.
From my investigation into it years ago, my conclusion:
-Most barrel makers have no idea if their barrels are worth a ****, they make what they make and send em all out the door just the same.
-Most barrel makers do not have a plan accounting for contouring/lapping.
-So the only prudent plan for heavily contoured barrels is to go cut rifled.

Pick any good cut rifled brand.

What caliber and action are you twisting the barrel on? Personally I like Hart Rifle Barrels, good barrels and reasonably priced.

6.5 creedmoor and 700 action. I looked at Hart, I've also been eyeing up Douglas barrels, even though I think they are button rifled. They have a pretty good reputation it seems, fair prices, and being in West Virginia they are relatively local to me here in PA.

I have purchased the parts to build a lightweight 6.5 rifle. The barrel I chose was a Krieger #1 contour.

6.5 creedmoor and 700 action. I looked at Hart, I've also been eyeing up Douglas barrels, even though I think they are button rifled. They have a pretty good reputation it seems, fair prices, and being in West Virginia they are relatively local to me here in PA.

I too likes supporting my local Made in Montana products. I am lucky enough to have a few barrel makers here in Montana.

Lilja - Home - Lilja

X-caliber - http://www.x-caliber.net/

Proof Research - Home - Proof Research

McGowen - https://mcgowenbarrel.com/

Wow, I didn't realize those were all in Montana. I would not mind shelling out the dough for a lilja but those wait times....

Wisconsin Tops the list
Krieger Barrels, Bartlein Barrels,criterion barrels,Brux Barrels, Rock Creek Barrels

Wow, I didn't realize those were all in Montana. I would not mind shelling out the dough for a lilja but those wait times....

Aye Sir! I placed an order for a Lilja 27" SS 1:9" 3-groove .308 cal Sendero contour in 5 Feb with a 12-14 weeks estimated delivery date.

They have three .264 cal in their "in stock barrel" section; you might also want to call to find out what they actually have in stock.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.