Barrel Life...how long?

LOBO

I have a long range rifle that I occassionally shoot in F class thats chambered in 30-06. I am using a 175gr SMK @ 2921 fps. Powder charge is 56grs of H4350 which is only 1 grain above the minimum recommended starting charge. The barrel is a 28" Broughtin 5C. How many rounds is a good estimation of barrel life?

If I could answer that I could win the lottery. Hard to say, cause it depends on the way you clean the bore. And what is acceptable accuracy for you at what yardage etc. Taking all that into account from 2,000 to 10,000 rds.

Roughly moa would be good out to 600 yards. My abilities @ 1000 are not quite there yet, although I do have fun slinging lead @ 1000 trying to get better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The more you shoot the better you'll get. So you'll be pickier about accuracy at the end of the game than you are now. I seriously doubt you'll get stellar accuracy for more than 4 to 6K rounds max.

Ive shot out 3 barrels now in 30-06 using Hornady Light Magnum, running between 2820FPS and 2900 ish. noticed a definate accuracy fall off at around 4500 rds with all 3 barrels. Never let them get to hot, no matches and no long strings, purely hunting and range practice. My guess is you will get 1/3 less than that or worse if you are constantly gettinmg barrels hot with long strings. Just shoot it until the accuracy goes, order a new barrel when you get to between 2000 and 2500 rds and it will be ready to fit when you have shot the old one out
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.