Barrel fluted to the muzzle???

G

Discussing this on another board.......anyone ever seen a barrel fluted all the way to the muzzle???

The question came up about cutting a stainless fluted Sendero barrel to 22".......any problems with it? I'm thinking the raised "ribs" could be rounded or cut at an angle to the depth of the flutes to give the barrel a finished look???

No, the question is "Why Not"???

If the original barrel is cut, then, among other things, there won't be issues with headspacing a different barrel......

I would not recommend it for these reasons
Fluting a barrel that was buttoned or forge rifled is going to relieve stress this can make for a slightly larger bore diameter under the flutes , custom barrel makes generaly lap their barrels as a final process to help ensure uniform bore diameter I'd be willing to bet that Remington doesen't do that
If you were to cut the barrel off in the fluted portion to may end up with a muzzel that is "loose" and is a bad thing for accuracy Even custom barrel makers don't flute to the muzzel to ensure that the muzzel is the tightest end.

You can try it it may shoot good for ya but don't be supprised if it doesen't either way it'll make for a good reason to get a new barrel !!

My comment would be do it and see what happens. That will offer all of us more useful information then discussing theory and ideas. only one way to know for sure, give her hell!!

Personally I would not like the looks of it I don;t think but if I had to guess, I would say it would not have any adverse effects on accuracy. In fact the shorter stiffer barrel may in fact help consistancy.

Like you said, why not, try it and see. Only question I have is what is your reason for the shorter 22" barrel? Just curious.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby

I already have a Sendero in 300 win mag with a 26" barrel.......but I prefer shorter barrels.....I have an LTR in 308 and a non cataloged VS in 223 with a 20" barrel.....just different strokes I guess.....

Here is a photo of an SSK Contender barrel with flutes that extend to the muzzle.......It's reverse tapered, but you can get an idea of how the fluting would look....doesn't look bad to me....if I decide to do it, what would you charge to cut and recrown the barrel????

cont02.gif

Gonhunting,

I will admit, that does not look half bad!! I am suprised that I actually kind of like that look!!!

Drop me an e-mail at the below address and we can talk price, would not be much at all to be honest. Drop me a line and I will give you a quote!

Thanks for the pic!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Peter......hope you don't mind if I post them.....any chance you could find out how it shot after being cut down???

hgnyberg162727.jpg

hgnyberg162810.jpg

Did a search on the swedish forum, and it seems that there is no difference in accuracy after the barrel was cut.

Not only would it be difficult but it may be impossible. If possible it would probably be extremely dangerous.

As long as the thread diameter would allow the fluted to be totally cleaned up it would work, look strange but work. If the flutes were not cleaned up, you would have alot of hot gas directed right back in your face as it followed up the flutes of the barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Peter!

Haven't been able to find a stainless fluted Sendero in 7 SAUM on any of the auction sites.........could go with the 300 SAUM, but really want a 7.......

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.