What’s the smallest barrel contour that could be fluted?

Those speeds Tom was getting were .020" IN the lands. I have never seem much difference in pressure in vs off the lands. If there was you would see it in velocity as the pressure droppped off. I am not trying to be argumentative but I honestly have never seen it. I just load them where they shoot best. I think your right on the reamer design and gunsmithing. Peak pressure happens just after the bullet enters the rifling. Bullet engraving force plays a big role in pressure. Well cut throats concentric to the bore are important, not just for accuracy. Reamer dimensions also play a role in pressure. Mostly the barrels rifling design, I use only a few makes so I know what velocities to expect from my stuff.

Those speeds Tom was getting were .020" IN the lands. I have never seem much difference in pressure in vs off the lands. If there was you would see it in velocity as the pressure droppped off. I am not trying to be argumentative but I honestly have never seen it. I just load them where they shoot best. I think your right on the reamer design and gunsmithing. Peak pressure happens just after the bullet enters the rifling. Bullet engraving force plays a big role in pressure. Well cut throats concentric to the bore are important, not just for accuracy. Reamer dimensions also play a role in pressure. Mostly the barrels rifling design, I use only a few makes so I know what velocities to expect from my stuff.

I agree with everything but the pressure difference and velocity in the long throated than the against the lands set up.

A good example is in the big Weatherbys that have lots of freebore. If you build a Weatherby and short throat the chamber, you will not be able to use Factory ammo without over pressure issues. Most of the time they will blow the primer. and with loads within pressures, lots of velocity loss will be seen. (The main reason for the big Weatherby cartridges.

The long throats are the main reason that the velocities reached with them are considerable higher than norm. The ability to load more powder without increasing the pressure is the main reason I like freebore. The 338 Texan is a good example based on the same case as the 338 Edge (300 ,375 RUM) the velocity with 65'000 Psi and a 300 grain bullet exceeded 3150 ft/sec.

Here is a Post by a really good friend about the cartridges performance.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/introducing-the-338-texan.155707/

With good loading practices, accuracy is easy. as long as you do your best loading.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks but its not magic, Just the loading and chambering philosophy
that I prefer.

I don't believe that you have to seat the bullet against the lands to get accuracy, so none of my rifles are set up this way.

When barrels were so so, bullets were iffy, and chamber reamers were not that good either, plus many poor gunsmiths, It was necessary in order to get any kind of accuracy.

Now all of this has changed and with a little careful selection of components and quality reloads, with all the other improvements, (Many helped by long rang hunting/shooting demands) Seating bullets to the lands is not necessary to get accuracy in my opinion and it cost us velocity unless we exceed recommended chamber pressures.

I believe in 98% to 105% case density @ max SAMME pressures, Plenty of loaded or chambered free bore, Cartridge lengths that will fit into standard magazine lengths, And with all the best chamber reamers and smithing that is possible, fed the best/most concentric loads I can load
in order to get accuracy with velocity at standard pressures.

Simple, not magic . This is just a philosophy that I have migrated to over years (50+) of loading and shooting that has made many things that were considered a Must obsolete for me and proven to produce the highest velocity with the best accuracy. My accuracy goals have always been sub 1/4 MOA and preferably less than 1/10 MOA (possible, but harder).

And to the heat sensitivity of powders, I prefer to go with powders that are the least sensitive to heat and exhibit the lowest SDs for the most "Consistent" Shot to Shot performance and then work on the best loading for it.

Some will not agree with this philosophy, and that is fine because they have had good accuracy using other methods. I am greedy, I want it all. Accuracy, speed, consistency, dependability, safety, Barrel and brass life, ETC. so I leave no stone unturned and results are there.

J E CUSTOM

That was said with tongue in cheek and quoting Alex's post. I have two Creedmoors that will not get near that speed with the bullets seated loooooong. I also have two 30 Noslers that will not get what Alex gets. So yes there is a little bit of magic to the game. I could not agree more with the comment about temp stability. I will not give up low fps/degree for higher velocity.

Well Weatherby throats are a bit different than comparing in the lands vs off the lands. You cant even touch the lands most of the times on those things. I assumed we were talking in vs off the lands on normal freebores. I have not seen in .020" vs off .020" make any noticeable difference. But I agree with you if your running the throats out that long.

Last edited:
I just had my Bartlien 2B fluted by Carl Kampfield (master at it), prior to chambering, and it shoots lights out.....light weight hunting rig too.

Here is #1 fluted by Twisted Barrel. The muzzle is .550".

20171212_172403_Film1.jpg

The metal removed to make a flute that is 20 inches long, 3/16" wide, and .075" deep, will weigh slightly less than an ounce.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.