Barrel crown

midwesthunter

I was just curious if one thought a certain style crown was better then the other and why. For example is a recesed crown better than a 11* crown?

I use the 11 deg. crown. easy to do, easy to maintain in good condition, and the most accurate i"ve found.

A recessed crown can help protect the crown while hunting. Things happen and even a small bump from a hard object could change the perfect exit of the bullet.

As for do it yourself crowning on a lathe... a 11 degree crown would have to be perfectly centered in the lathe while the remington style recessed crown could be machined even if the barrel was rotating slightly out of round. Why? The recessed final surface where the bullet exits is on a 90 degree plane to the rotational direction of the barrel. A lathe can cut a perfect 90 degree perpenducular cut even if the barrel is rotating off center.

I have heard of guys preferring the 11 degree crown but have a hard time believing that it is more accurate than any other crown. I could be wrong but it seems to me if the surface of the end of the barrel is perpenducular so that the bullet leaves with no gasses venting out of any area first, the bullet will be sent on its way with minimal yaw. IMO crown uniformity is the issue not the angle.

Can the angle of the crown influence this? Can turbulence of gasses just outside the crown have an influence? Maybe the 11 degree has less turbulence? Would like to hear from someone with proof on why 11 degree is better.

Don't wreck your crown cleaning your barrel! The Crown Cradle is a bore guide for the muzzle crown end of your barrel - the last thing the bullet touches on the way down range!

Get it here!

Products / Crown Cradle

depending on barrel length, there is a certain level of pressure remaining.... also depends on burn speed of the propellant. This dictates a bit of sensitivity as to hw the bullet exits the barrel.
Think of it as a tuning fork.... length, diameter... everything is a factor.
The crowns biggest factor in accuracy imho is sharpness and damage.
The best way I can describe it is walk on ice.... then slip on gravel.
Sharp edges of gravel kick your shoe out a bit erratically..... the same goes for bad crowns and bullets.

My preference is a 11o crown for several reasons.

1 - It does a good job protecting the muzzle bore if it is properly cut (At least 75% of the diameter of the barrel).

It also is more durable than a recess crown because it has a 101 degree exit angle to the bore and the recess crown has a 90 degree angle at the muzzle bore making the 11 degree crown more durable.

Also In my opinion "All" crowns should be cut in a Lathe with the barrel perfectly center on the bore and cut with a single point tool.

Just my opinion

I frequently check for burrs near the crown by twisting a cotton swab around the lands. If any cotton pulls away it indicates a burr. Only cure is to refinish the crown.

I am certain our lathe operators know but others might not, IMO there is a reason Remington and some other companies use a flat recessed crown.

The barrel doesn't have to be perfectly centered to make the crown. The cutting tool is passing across the end of the barrel at a 90 degree angle and will cut square to bore regardless of runout.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts