Muzzle brake crown?

gohring3006

How important is the muzzle brake crown?
It's obvious it should be uniform, but I have seen them machined flat, I have seen them recessed. I wonder how much it affects the bullet upset since most of the gas is vented prior to exit?

Not positive on this, but I would figure that since by the time it passes through there, the bullet is no longer under inert pressure propelling it, that it would not be as important as the actual crown on the muzzle which must be uniform for gasses to evenly escape at the same exact time as the bullet is exiting the muzzle, so not to cause it to yaw, causing accuracy problems.

Not positive on this, but I would figure that since by the time it passes through there, the bullet is no longer under inert pressure propelling it, that it would not be as important as the actual crown on the muzzle which must be uniform for gasses to evenly escape at the same exact time as the bullet is exiting the muzzle, so not to cause it to yaw, causing accuracy problems.

I'm inclined to agree, just wasn't sure...
The reason I ask is, all the different types of crowns on brakes.
Makes you wonder about yaw and upset. But your right, all the influential gas should already be vented.

+1

We looked at different muzzle brake crowns and found that if the muzzle brake was quality machined
It made No difference in accuracy. It does however make a huge difference in looks. I personally like and crown the brakes I build with a 11o crown and a back taper on the front edge that meets the 11o crown because I think it looks the best. the next crown on a brake that looks good to me is the buttoned crown. Square/flat crowns just look like they are not finished (They are, but just look unfinished to me).

J E CUSTOM

I'm inclined to agree, just wasn't sure...
The reason I ask is, all the different types of crowns on brakes.
Makes you wonder about yaw and upset. But your right, all the influential gas should already be vented.
It kind of depends on the brake. Some have a partial frontal discharge with a number of small holes around the central bore to go along with side, top, and bottom discharge ports but on a well made brake only a tiny percentage of the muzzle blast is coming out of the center/bore hole.

On a well made brake I just can't see the crown or lack of one making much if any difference at all other than aesthetics.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.