Barrel chambering training

The first barrel was a 33 Nosler and taking .025" bites between cleaning cycles took a LONG time, but Bob stuck right there with me the whole day.
Two words...FLUSH SYSTEM :)
On my first machine where the spindle was too small I worked between centers and had no choice... and I get that he probably wants to gear the teaching to the guy or gal that might chamber only a couple of barrels. But if you chamber even a handful of barrels per year a DIY flush system doesn't have to be very expensive, though some go all-out and drop four figures.

Two words...FLUSH SYSTEM :)
On my first machine where the spindle was too small I worked between centers and had no choice... and I get that he probably wants to gear the teaching to the guy or gal that might chamber only a couple of barrels. But if you chamber even a handful of barrels per year a DIY flush system doesn't have to be very expensive, though some go all-out and drop four figures.
Gotta' learn to walk before you can run...

Gotta' learn to walk before you can run...
Yep. He doesn't even let us face, thread or anything. I appreciated it as I was doing a Savage barrel with a barrel nut, no shoulder, and the threading was nerve racking for Bob. I plan on going back and hope to get more skills, but considering it was first time on a metal lathe, I was happy with the task division. Looking at getting a small lathe at home so I can learn to make my own chips!

Yep. He doesn't even let us face, thread or anything. I appreciated it as I was doing a Savage barrel with a barrel nut, no shoulder, and the threading was nerve racking for Bob. I plan on going back and hope to get more skills, but considering it was first time on a metal lathe, I was happy with the task division. Looking at getting a small lathe at home so I can learn to make my own chips!

If you can find 90s vintage belt drive Jet, it will serve you well. One of my lathes is a little guy, JET 1024. But, it is a very capable unit. The spindle is on the small side, but there are many workarounds to make it very useful.

This thread was done on the little guy. 13/16-20 x 0.920 AR15 tenon for the competition barrel extension.

Resized_20180116_070008.jpeg

Resized_20210402_155824.jpeg

Well if anyone has been around any metal working machinery such as a Lathe/Mill can see the danger if you do not know what you are doing.
If you are chambering or threading a barrel for example and don't stop when you should you can CRASH the lathe. Serious damage to the equipment and even more is it could be limb or life event.
Whenever I let someone touch a control on our equipment lathe/mill we have them watch many videos and then watch me work on a practice barrel or piece. We have a 50" HD TV next to the equipment and lots of training videos. Then when chambering/threading real work on a machine I would be right next to the student and the Emergency Stop.

Well if anyone has been around any metal working machinery such as a Lathe/Mill can see the danger if you do not know what you are doing.
If you are chambering or threading a barrel for example and don't stop when you should you can CRASH the lathe. Serious damage to the equipment and even more is it could be limb or life event.
Whenever I let someone touch a control on our equipment lathe/mill we have them watch many videos and then watch me work on a practice barrel or piece. We have a 50" HD TV next to the equipment and lots of training videos. Then when chambering/threading real work on a machine I would be right next to the student and the Emergency Stop.

I am with you, Len. I helped a few friends with their projects. I went through safety procedures, the EMO locations. They have to go through basic machine operations, not just the how, but the whys. I gave them drops to train on speed, feed, DOC. Before I initially let them run the JET 1024, I loosened the belt drive enough to run, but in case they crash, belt just slips.

They practiced tenon work and chambering on the belt drive using the barrel drops I accumulated.

Four of my friends who started in my shop, now have their machines and doing their own barrels.

It is not gunsmithing, that's for the pros with the accredited training, what we do is just basic machining 101. Cutting the metal to the specified dimension.

I am with you, Len. I helped a few friends with their projects. I went through safety procedures, the EMO locations. They have to go through basic machine operations, not just the how, but the whys. I gave them drops to train on speed, feed, DOC. Before I initially let them run the JET 1024, I loosened the belt drive enough to run, but in case they crash, belt just slips.

They practiced tenon work and chambering on the belt drive using the barrel drops I accumulated.

Four of my friends who started in my shop, now have their machines and doing their own barrels.

It is not gunsmithing, that's for the pros with the accredited training, what we do is just basic machining 101. Cutting the metal to the specified dimension.
Nez you are so right!

Nez you are so right!
Yes indeed. Totally agree and was not bashing his method. It works. I think I am going to buy a non-tapered barrel next time I go up and get him to teach me facing, sizing the tenon and threading with no clambering. When I am done, part it off and do it again. Get at 3 or 4 of them under my belt solo before I leave. When I was doing my second clambering, he was comfortable with my abilities and would sit behind me and watch. I think inam going to start thinking about getting a 10x30" lathe of my own. I like his setup with his clambering fixture for indicating.

Yes indeed. Totally agree and was not bashing his method. It works. I think I am going to buy a non-tapered barrel next time I go up and get him to teach me facing, sizing the tenon and threading with no clambering. When I am done, part it off and do it again. Get at 3 or 4 of them under my belt solo before I leave. When I was doing my second clambering, he was comfortable with my abilities and would sit behind me and watch. I think inam going to start thinking about getting a 10x30" lathe of my own. I like his setup with his clambering fixture for indicating.
I'd bet you could find some used barrels to practice on. I've been contemplating a lathe for a while now.

Did he use his fixture to dial the bore or between spiders, front and outboard?

@Coyote Shadow Tracker gets the right of first refusal. Otherwise, they are available to rest of you guys. I have these 10 barrel drops y'all can have to train on metal cutting.

I have another 20 to finish for our juniors. They are all SS Shilen SM 7.5T Ratchet, just like ones in the picture. Send me a PM or email [email protected] if y'all have any need for the drops from these. It might be till after summer before I will start on them.

Picture of almost finished AR15 barrels, 10 are for the kids, one is mine, a Bartlein.

20240317_153408.jpg
20240317_155244.jpg

@Coyote Shadow Tracker gets the right of first refusal. Otherwise, they are available to rest of you guys. I have these 10 barrel drops y'all can have to train on metal cutting.

I have another 20 to finish for our juniors. They are all SS Shilen SM 7.5T Ratchet, just like ones in the picture. Send me a PM or email [email protected] if y'all have any need for the drops from these. It might be till after summer before I will start on them.

Picture of almost finished AR15 barrels, 10 are for the kids, one is mine, a Bartlein.

View attachment 554940View attachment 554941
I just bought my first lathe and might be interested in some of these. I do have a corner full of junk barrels I can practice on, however. Still getting the lathe wired in and collecting necessary tooling. Lucked out and got a 14x40 south bend turnado tool room lathe from an Amarillo college auction.

Last edited: