Barrel chambering training

Looks like a Colchester copy. Made in Taiwan for SouthBend or made here.? Very nice snag.
I got a copy of the original sales ticket from Grizzly, says the model number is 14-40vs. Delivered in Jan of 1998. It has a Baldor adjustable speed drive on it, and all components appear to be domestic! What I can't figure out is the college has it labeled as being wired 240 volt, and the specific breaker and breaker box it was wired into. I've got a cousin who's a gifted electrician, figured I'd trade some work for his expertise.

There were a half dozen nearly new Bridgeport milling machines in the auction as well we missed out on. Also were other south bends, some genesh taiwan lathes, a couple old le blond 15" lathes, and countless surface and tool grinders. Some great deals were had by a few.

A picture from the auction with everything on it.
1710732486379.jpeg

Here it is set in my business partners shop! Of course the pan and shields are still removed from transport. Can't wait to get it turning!View attachment 555039
Those SB Lathes are very GOOD. This is going to be a KILLER GS Lathe. The first thing I would do is give it an extreme cleaning. Change out all the oils and oil/grease all the needed locations Then get some really good Leveling feet for either permanent in your concrete floor or good mounting feet. If you don't have an extremely secure mount, you will have issues forever. after getting a good mounting system you will need to get it leveled properly. After that you will need to check alignment of your tooling. If you have the FAGON DRO you need to get that adjusted think your model has a 2"+ bore so you can do bigger barrels no problem.
You will have a very nice Killer GS LATHE!!!
You will want to get tool posts, lots of tooling cutters another Spindel or two.
When you start to get it in place and cleaned up and put together give us a call and we might be able to get you some tooling at discounted prices. You will need a good inventory of specialized tools gauges, calipers. measuring equipment& fixtures for chambering a barrel. and to cut the Tenon and threads. Your new machine can do it all with the right operator. We don't know how much you already know about chambering, but there are some really good people that can help out along with this. I have some training videos and if you want to take a refresher course on chambering. I am sure you will get more than your money's worth from Bob and have a GREAT time doing it.
In the meantime getting you lathe cleaned and then hooked up with power will be fun.

Those SB Lathes are very GOOD. This is going to be a KILLER GS Lathe. The first thing I would do is give it an extreme cleaning. Change out all the oils and oil/grease all the needed locations Then get some really good Leveling feet for either permanent in your concrete floor or good mounting feet. If you don't have an extremely secure mount, you will have issues forever. after getting a good mounting system you will need to get it leveled properly. After that you will need to check alignment of your tooling. If you have the FAGON DRO you need to get that adjusted think your model has a 2"+ bore so you can do bigger barrels no problem.
You will have a very nice Killer GS LATHE!!!
You will want to get tool posts, lots of tooling cutters another Spindel or two.
When you start to get it in place and cleaned up and put together give us a call and we might be able to get you some tooling at discounted prices. You will need a good inventory of specialized tools gauges, calipers. measuring equipment& fixtures for chambering a barrel. and to cut the Tenon and threads. Your new machine can do it all with the right operator. We don't know how much you already know about chambering, but there are some really good people that can help out along with this. I have some training videos and if you want to take a refresher course on chambering. I am sure you will get more than your money's worth from Bob and have a GREAT time doing it.
In the meantime getting you lathe cleaned and then hooked up with power will be fun.
You guys are the best. I shoulda consulted yall sooner! I did get a tool post in the auction as well, an aloris bxa I believe. Gunsmiths are short in my area, but I have befriended one local who has been willing to let me assist him while he's working on my stuff. His work is far from pretty generally, but he's a good old school machinist and the rifles he's chambered for me have been accurate. We put together a 35 whelen on a 1917 DWM gew 98 receiver that will shoot cloverleafs. Also have a handful of books on the matter. Looking foward to learning the process, and I certainly feel better about my purchase!