Barnes X Performance on Big Game?

Troutslayer

I just traded a whole bunch of flies (for fishing) for three boxes of handloads made with my used brass. I haven't yet taken them out to see how they group and I'm wondering, what kind of performance have people had with these? They are 180 grain for .300 Winmag. They are the copper ones without the moly coating. I understand that they're a little harder on barrels and I can accept that. Do they expand as much as lead? Is expansion as reliable? I intend to shoot elk and deer with the same bullets and I thought that this would be a happy medium.

when you say they are harder on barrels what do you mean? this is a false rumor about copper bulets.solid copper bullets are made from a softer alloy than jacketed lead bullets and are actually easier on barrels.fouling is a different story.excluding the premium copper bullets,a 168 triple shock would be your best bet in my opinion.the x bullet is a very good hunting bullet for deer and elk.

You didn't say which X bullet but here is my experience:

Barnes XBT - With tons of load developement they can be made to shoot accurately in some rifles but they will copper foul like crazy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Barnes XLC - Most erratic bullet ever produced. I was amazed that anyone reported good results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barnes TSX - By far, the easiest of all the X bullets to get to shoot. Copper fouling is reduced by the reduction in bearing surface but they still foul. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

When shooting whitetails broadside behind the shoulder you will get complete penetration 100% of the time with any X bullet. Hole going in & hole going out. Terminal performance is rarely dramatic but the outcome is virtually guaranteed. If you like dramatic terminal performance use a Ballistic Tip or SST bullet.

Some shooters don't seem to like the plastic tip bullets for whitetails. The only time I had a problem was when my impact velocities were a lot higher than the bullet was designed for.

Bottom line with X bullets is that some guys luv em' while others guys hate em'. Shoot the ones you've got and you'll start to lean one way or the other. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VH

Varmint, I couldn't agree more about the XLC's. The target looked like I was patterning a shotgun. I tried the X some time ago and didn't like the groups. But Compared to the XLC, at least it could be called a group. Never tried the TSX. I reckon they fooled me twice already. They kill real quick though.

I use Accubonds almost exclusively now they shoot better at 300 yards than the XLC's shot at 100. Best Bullet I ever used so far.

If they are barnes I'd get my flies back. If they are northfork keep'em.

Birdman,

Noticed you are from Casper. I'll be staying in Casper in Sept and will be hunting pronghorns & p-dogs. The outfitter is "Wyoming Trophy Outfitters". Have you heard of them?

Don't want to hi-jack the thread, you can drop me an email at [email protected]

VH

In every rifle I hunt with, I have a load with Barnes X that shoot under an inch at 100 yds. I drive them to max velocity, 3500 fps with 75 gr .25-06, 3400 fps 85 gr .243, 3240 fps 120 gr .270 Win, 3200 fps 140 gr 300 SAUM, 3200 fps 165 gr 300 Win Mag. All loads are with plain and now D/C Barnes X. Needless to say I love them. I also love Nosler bullets. Even a 150 gr ballistic tip out of my 300 Win Mag at almost 3400 fps will kill whitetails; however, you WILL NOT have a blood-trail of any kind as the bullets explode rapidly. Lungs go to a slurpy-like consistancy, but in the thick clear-cuts and briar patchs I hunt in, you need a blood trail to make your life easier.

On pigs, they are kryptonite!!!

Sewwhat, If you have Barnes X shooting that good, then use them. I wish I got them to shoot. I've shot a few head of game with Barnes X and they all dropped in their tracks. Blood trail was never a concern. Unfortunately, a lot of folks can't get them to shoot. Me included.

Varmint, If it the place I'm thinking of then their is a guide named Paul who is a real good guide. I though it was Wyoming Professional Outfitters, but I could be mistaken.
P-doggin out here is a hoot!

Birdman,

Randy & Sharon Brown are the outfitters.

Sewhat89,

As to never getting an exit wound with the Ballistic Tips @ 3,400 ft/sec; drop that velocity below 3,000 and you will have completely different results on game animals. I've had many pass-throughs when shooting 140gr B-Tips from a 7mm-08 and results similar to yours when shooting the same bullet from my 7STW and hitting whitetails that rolled in (unexpectedly) at 100yds.

I've killed 3 or 4 deer with the Barnes X and now the Triple shock. I've killed 2 cow elk as well from ranges of 69yds to 412yds. Everything dropped right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.