Barnes Triple Shock, another opinion

Derek M.

I just spoke with a very nice gentleman that has been reloading for 35-40 years, and hunting even longer. I thought I'd pass on his opinion on some bullets to all.

I've only been reloading for 12 years so I am nowhere near as experienced. Anyway, I was picking his brain because I like to learn. He stated that one of his new found "loves" is the Barnes triple shock bullet. He is also a big fan of the Fail Safe but we discussed the triple shock in depth.

His experience, though just as limited as many of us since the TSX has only recently come about, is very good. He has had a handful of range experiences where he's put the TSX into one ragged hole, and this was with seating the bullet exactly as Barnes recommends.

Terminal performance, in his opinion, is excellent, even when he bear hunts in his home state and takes shots at only a few yards. He stated to me that when he hunts "it's not the rifle that matters, it's what the bullet does when it hits your target, and where it hits the animal." "Barnes has made a marginal elk rifle, if you want to call it that (ie, .270), a moderate or even good elk gun." Of course this is derived from the decades of controversy on what is a "good elk rifle caliber."...a nonstop hot topic. He further stated that the Barnes and Fail safe have penetrated better than any other bullet in HIS experience.

I concur with his experiences. I have had nothing but exceptional accuracy with the .270 130 grain TSX using Re 19. In fact, they grouped far better than the good old ballistic tip in my rifles. My mulie died quick in Colorado last season at only 65 yards or so. Even if the petals peeled off at such a close range from my .270, it still left a bucket of blood on the ground. The deer turned all the way around and fell after the hit. Never walked or ran anywhere. My buddy used my gun to take his mulie also at 254 yards. Perfect hit, deer went ten yards. Blood trail so evident that you'd think someone dumped it on the ground. I believe that when those petals peel back, it's like a blender spinning and that they are razor sharp. The lungs on both deer appeared as if someone had taken a razor and carved out a perfect 3-4" diameter hole.

Thanks for reading.

Derek M.

I wish I could shoot them. However, they cause tremendous pressure spikes in my 30/338 Lapua chambered Douglas barrel. I would have to slow them down too much for them to benefit me. I have ordered some GS Custom bullets and some Grooves to see if I can shoot them close to the velocity of the Nosler Ballistic Tips.

James

Hey Derek,
Thanks for the post! I really enjoyed it. Barnes must be doing something right; to get the price they ask for their bullets! I've been using Barnes for a short time, but have been pleased by their performance. I've found that their factory recommended seating off the lands is pretty close to accurate in what I shoot. One must consider that performance does not always improve with more powder & pushing closer to the lands.

light varmint,i'm sure you will be pleasantly surprized with either the gs or groove bullets.they are deffinitely superior to the barnes.the grooves will probably shoot faster than the ballistics but the gs customs will outdo them all.they are the best short to medium range bullet made!

Texas,

Here, take a look at the GS bullets. They are a very interesting bullet but if you think that the TSX is expensive wait till you see the sticker on these.

Actually, the Groove bullets are nearly double the price of the Barnes TSX too.

Whether they are worth that kind of money, or not, is up to each shooter. Lately I've been working up hunting loads with the new Accubonds and Interbonds. Their performance should meet my needs.

VH

GS Custom Bullets

Varmint Hunter,
Thanks for the link! Never seen or heard of these before. Thanks & Good Shootin'

Here is a list of the GS Bullets that currently in the U.S. that are for sale by the U.S. rep.
http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=716932&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1

While I have to agree that I like Gerard's bullets, I can't condone the RSA mail and shipping system. It is ripe with theft and deceit which makes it real hard to get small packages out from RSA to the United States. Gerard thought that larger containers shipped to a U.S. rep would cure this part of the problem and I think that it did, mostly.

The problem now of course, is the exchange rate. It is just too prohibitive to pay Gerard's price with devalued dollars and then throw in the excruciating shipping charges on top of that. I think that I'll wait a bit to see if the exchange gets better. For right now, there is nothing wrong with the Barnes Triple X, Groove Bullets and Northfork Bullets.

Use the link and talk to the rep. He's a good person.

Best.

I am fortunate in that I have killed hundreds of animals using Barnes X bullets since they came out in 1989.

I have used them in most cartridges from .223 up to the world's most powerful varmint rifle, the .460 Weatherby.

The triple shocks I have used in .25/06, 7X57, .30/06, .300 RUM, .340 Weatherby and .460 Weatherby.

These bullets are the greatest technological advancement in ballistic history. Because they are essentially, an expanding solid, there is no bullet technology on the market that can out penetrate them and still be classified as a soft nose or expanding bullet.

The current triple shock version is tremendously accurate and after using them in all bullet weights except the 160 grain version in 7mm for the above calibers, I would seriously question handloading practices or barrel quality before I pointed any fingers at this bullet for accuracy issues.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>These bullets are the greatest technological advancement in ballistic history.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Terminal? Or Exterior?

At the ranges members of this board like to shoot, exterior ballistics is quite important. How extensive has your testing in this area been?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>These bullets are the greatest technological advancement in ballistic history. Because they are essentially, an expanding solid, there is no bullet technology on the market that can out penetrate them and still be classified as a soft nose or expanding bullet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUH
confused.gif

"Expanding solid" is an oxymoron, you know, like the little big guy. Barnes makes solids but the X bullets are not amoung them.
For a hunting bullet, penetration is NOT everything, but merely one quality that is normally offset by another. The Barnes X bullets have much less dramatic terminal performance than many other expanding bullets. For soft skinned animals I'd prefer a little more expansion and shock and can live without a bullet that exits at 2,000 ft/sec. I've had several whitetails show almost no reaction to a broadside hit from an X bullet fired at full throttle from my 7STW. Some merely walked away. They didn't get too far but all that penetration didn't help either.

A quality expanding bullet of a more conventional design will often drop them on their noses when hit the same way, and the hit gives an immediate physical reaction.

The Fail Safe bullet is another bullet that exhibits performance and penetration similar to an X bullet. However, I have found them to be more accurate. When fired from my lowly .308win they put game down faster than the X bullets did.

Don't get me wrong; I do like the X bullets for certain situations. I just dion't see them as the Holy Grail of bullet technology.

CURIOUS - How do you feel about the Groove bullet or the GS Custom bullet? How about the Swift A-Frame?

By the way, in my 460Wby I only shoot the 300gr Hornady HP bullet because I'm a Girly Man.

grin.gif
grin.gif

Maybe I should move to Beverly Hills and hang out with Arnold.

VH

I haven't tried the tripple shocks yet but I'm in the process of getting some ready , I'm moly coating 200 of the 180gr's to work up load for a 30-06 Ai and a 300Wby.
I have a very accurate load worked up for both of these with the 180gr Accu-bonds , I'm gonna try shooting some feral hogs for comparison to see which one is gonna make the better Elk/Mule deer bullet.

Varmint Hunter , I feel you pain with the 460Wby , I have one , I keep it just so I can get some laughs at the range watching other guys shoot it. Other than amusement I have absolutly no reason for it.

I gotta agree the X bullet(if it shoots well enough in your rifle and I've only had one factory Rem that would not shoot them well so far) is a super advancement in bullets. I'm not so much of a long range shooter though. I can only comment out to about 1000 yards.

I have also shot a lot of animals with X bullets. Almost all of the styles. But not the TS though I'm looking forward to it soon. I have never had an expansion failure or a penetration failure. I"ve had both with a number of other bullets.

For me there are a couple of parameters that makes the bullet. Has to be accurate enough for the job at hand. Has to expand. Has to penetrate fully. At the distances some folks shoot, if you use a different expanding bullet you may go from a rib shot to a heavy bone shot or change the angle of the hit, simply due to time of flight factor. It works with everything. I've seen it in my bowhunting too. No matter what you do, they can decide to move as you shooot. Then you need the best you can get. The BC is also a factor. But it is not as critical as one would think. After all once its past about 250 yards or so, folks need a rangefinder since everyones guesses will be at least 10% or more off. So with a rangefinder, some range time, a wind speed meter, and a good chart(things all long range hunters should have) a few points BC won't make any difference.

What I do not need is for the animal to drop over in its tracks. I prefer to have the first options always working for me and I'll trail if I have to. Trailing is becoming a lost art, especially if you are not a bowhunter. Its a shame as it will be needed at times. Dropping animals in their tracks scares me. I've done quite a bit of guiding. An instant drop almost always meant a shot that was off the mark. And led to a few wild chases too. Stick a good bullet in the lung area and they are done. You might give them a bit of time but they are done.

Of course all the above is simply IMHO.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.