Barnes Triple Shock, another opinion

Kinetic Energy:

Please drop me a note. I need some 300 RUM data with 180 TS bullets. I'll spell my email, you can decipher from there. less junk email that way. Thanks tons in advance.

jcrost at cvtv dot net

Jeff

Rost,

I agree with most of your post. However, I put more emphasis on expansion and less on penetration. Adequate penetration is good enough for me.

I am curious about this statement " An instant drop almost always meant a shot that was off the mark."
I'm not sure what that means; neck, spine, rump or other. I will say that almost every kill that I've made that resulted in a vertical drop of the game animal was made with a high speed, expanding bullet that was placed just behind the shoulder.

Good shootin' & huntin' - VH

I agree, an instant drop can mean a misplaced shot (horn, grazed spine, etc)--especially if you were aiming for the lungs at long range with an X bullet and didn't expect an instant drop. However, almost always is way off the mark in my experience.

I prefer to put an animal down. Now. I usually take out one or both shoulders on the way to or from the heart/lung area. At relatively close ranges, this usually drops a deer in his tracks, even using X-Bullets (light ones at high velocity).

Jeff, what's the farthest you've shot an animal clean through the lungs with an X? How far did you have to apply your "lost art" of tracking it?

I haven't tested the TSX and they are supposed to open up more quickly, but given my experience with older X's they sure wouldn't be my choice for a lung shot beyond 500 or 600 yards. They may open up more quickly in reduced velocity penetration tests, but the revised hollow point makes their BC even lower which will reduce the impact velocity even more compared with the older XBT's.

I also don't agree that BC doesn't matter much. The more wind drift you have, the harder the bullet will be to hit with. And the lower the impact velocity will be.

Rost, i agree with ya on the animal dropping at the crack of the gun.i always tell them to put another one in the chest while it's on the ground.have seen a couple and heard of a bunch more where the,in this case deer,gets up after a few seconds and hauls a-- for cover after a nick in the back.

Hey Guys

What do they say? Get a shovel and dig yourself a hole?
blush.gif
)

What I mean about instant drops is from guiding hunters. I've also shot a lot of animals with a number of bullets. I don't shoot for shoulders or bone. Its how I was raised. I don't waste meat. I depend on the lungs being destroyed with the bullet. The lungs are a quick kill and don't rely on secondary fragmentation to get to the vitals and destroy/bleed them out. I've seen way too many deer shot in shoulders and spine or neck area drop instantly also, but then remain alive for a lot longer than a rib shot. I owe more than that to the animal.

Anyway most all the shots I've seen others take(not meaning ya'll) when there is an instant drop its a bad thing. I've guided for a number of years on a ranch where we had to shoot over 300 deer a year to keep management up. Going through that you see a LOT of rounds and shots.

As to how far have I shot, I've noted I'm not a long range shooter comparatively. The longest two shots have been 802 and 854. Both through the lungs and both expanded. Caliber going in, 25-50cent piece going out. Inner organs damaged plenty along the way. Death was very quick, trails less than 50 yards. Both with X bullets.

The one expanding bullet I've fired at mid range was an amax and the shot was 546 yards. Caliber going in, caliber going out. Same bullet expands almost violently under 150 yards.

As to BC, I'm a target shooter out to 1000 yards. 50 points BC helps me win the match but it doesn't impress me on the target. But on the target an inch or three can win it for me. That is not much in the hunting world and I would not trade it in a heartbeat for real world bullet penetration and performance.

Where I will agree totally is that high speed light bullets almost always drop an animal right away. Severe internal damage along the way. But what do you get when the trophy of a lifetime walks out facing away from you and walks off? You have to stick in an angling shot and the high speed expanding bullet opens in the back half of the animal and never makes it past the diaphram? No exit wound, no penetration. Very sticky situation such that more than normal trailing skills will have to be put into use very carefully. These are not shots I prefer to take, but shots that I want to be able to make if I HAVE to.

Guess a lot of it boils down to your personal preference. I prefer the penetration and performance and see no need to knock an animal down instantly. IMHO you cannot reliably have both. Plus there's always Pops in the back of my head about not wasting any meat. Suppose its why I normally end up shooting most of my meat animals up top with a large enough gun. Those do drop right away though
blush.gif
)

Have a great weekend!

Jeff

I use the high shoulder aka shoulder blade shot if it is at all possible. Deer hit there drop in there tracks 9 times out of 10. This shot not only breaks both legs, it also takes the top of the lungs and disturbes nerve/spine area which decapacitates the animal.
I dont like to practice the lost art of tracking.....

The only thing that makes me use a rifle at times is challenge of a shot longer than 500. Its for the challenge that I hunt. I dont' hunt to simply kill.

If you don't want to learn how to trail an animal(you will have to at some point) then I suggest that you not ever take up bowhunting. There you have to trail. An instant kill in bowhunting is a truly badly placed arrow. You just get dang lucky if they drop.

To me part of the hunt is following the trail. Its being part of outdoors. Its my choice.

Just like its ya'lls to drop em on the spot. Don't hold it against me
smile.gif
(haha finally got the right emotioncon this time)

Jeff

Rost495, Could you tell me about the 800 & 850 yard shots...what caliber, bullet(flat base, boattail), velocity. I am trying to determine if a 30 cal TSX will expand on soft tissue at around 2,000 fps (600 yards, 30 cal magnum). Thank you, Doug

I agree with your assement of the TSX.I am shooting them in 3 different rifles[338min mag-300win mag-30-06]not one one them shoots over .5 moa I also like the added penetration

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.