Barnes LRX bullets in 6.5

For distances 500 yds and under, it is tough to beat a mono bullet for 'over all' performance - especially in magnum calibers. Monos (Barnes, Hammer, etc.) seem to open consistently, punch through just about anything with nearly 100% weight retention and can be very accurate when hand loading due to consistent construction. If I never expected to shoot beyond 500, then that would be my go-to bullet.

However, beyond 500 yds, wind becomes a key factor in placing a bullet where you want it to go. Reading wind is an art, and bullets with higher BC's tend to be much more forgiving. They have a larger window/margin for error. So bullets with a higher BC (vld type of design) are the more optimal choice for long range shooting. The higher BC bullets tend to fall into two camps: those that are designed to fragment and dump all their energy into an animal (Berger) and those that are designed to punch completely through (Accubond and othe bonded bullets). The ELD-X is a cup and core construction (like Beger) and seems to be somewhere in the middle. I've seen several cases where lead separated from jacket and failed to exit, while in other cases the ELD-x mushroomed and stayed together just like the accubond. Either performance still resulted in killing the animal. Just know the limitations of your bullet and shoot/aim accordingly.

The 127 lrx expand down to 1500 fps, that's why I use them in my 6.5 grendel at 2600 fps. There known as one shot kill bullets. I have been using them since the early 90s. Barnes is working on a 140 lrx.

What game have you taken with your 6.5Grendel and how far? I ask only because I have been very interested in trying these and in my Grendel.

Don't get overly hung up on the BC, speed which you shoot them can make up for a little BC loss. I shoot .45 BC bullets out of my 25-06 and have no problem holding MOA out to 700 yards. They wouldn't work well to win an F class match, those small difference really matter when your trying to count X's, but I can kill deer with them all day long. You have to read your wind and make the right call with .6 BC or .45. Reading wind is the key to LR shooting.

And if I were going to shoot mono's i would shoot Hammers.

What game have you taken with your 6.5Grendel and how far? I ask only because I have been very interested in trying these and in my Grendel.
I run a 24", 8 twist , cfe 223, cci 450 primers. I also shoot 100 gr ttsx at 3000 fps They also work good on deer, speed goats, and any thing else that needs to die,lol. Have only used them to 250 yards so far on game, but they drop on the spot. I will go out to 500yrds with them on speed goats becouse they die so easy.

Thanks for all the information guys I love mono bullets and just started using the LRX in my custom Mauser .270 my dad I built when I was 10. I just bought a Cooper 6.5 Creedmoor I was hoping to play at some long range matches and use it for long range hunting. It doesn't look like I would even equal my .270 performance if I stayed with Barnes LRX offering for hunting though. At this point I am just researching to see if I can load something similar or equal for matches , practice and hunting.

My wife also uses them in her 6.5 creedmore. Its using 4831 sc, at almost 3000 fps with 210m primers. This is a savage axis with a 22" barrel. She loves the mild recoil with the 127 lrx bullets.

After some less than stellar results from the ELD-X in my 6.5 I have been hunting exclusively with the 127LRX and it has been awesome. I've had great results from 30 yards on a big mule deer just a few weeks ago. 2 whitetail does last week at 230 yards and Dead antelope at 643 yards last week. Also had a cow elk 2 years ago at 605 yards. It did the same thing as the images lance k shared. I love the lack of bloodshot meat with these bullets and they make great holes in both sides. I wouldn't mind having a heavier version from Barnes, but these do exactly what I've asked from them. Doesn't seem to matter to my rifles or the bullets that they are lighter... dead is dead. And with me being a meat hunter I can't say enough about the ability to preserve the meat with these bullets. No digging out lead or fragments either!

Consider the 6.5-06 with the 127 LRX at around 3200fps out of a 24" Bbl. Will absolutely challenge the 270. I have both cals & my preference is with the 6.5-06. Have my own range & shoot regularly.

I shoot the 130 TTSX and 110 TTSX FROM MY 270 Win. 3200 and 3500 fps. The 120 gr TTSX IN 7MM up to 4050 from the Firebird. And 130 gr TTSX 4030 fps from the 30-378 and Warbird. The last 2 you just aim where you want to hit to 400 yards. Beyond that I aim at the top of the hairline. No rangefinder required under 500 yards.

6.5 SLR pushing a 127 LRX @ 3030fps MV, 637 yards.
Right behind onside leg, shattered a vertebrae, took out top of lungs, broke offside shoulder, exited.
This is the offside shoulder.
View attachment 157812
View attachment 157809
View attachment 157811 View attachment 157810
But very little meat damage! Those are similar to my results. I like shooting Bergers and other cup and core, but I have to say hunting with monos makes all the sense in the world from what little experience I do have. My next 7mmRM load work ups will be with 145gr LRX which I'm thinking should go out at 3100+.

I shoot the 130 TTSX and 110 TTSX FROM MY 270 Win. 3200 and 3500 fps. The 120 gr TTSX IN 7MM up to 4050 from the Firebird. And 130 gr TTSX 4030 fps from the 30-378 and Warbird. The last 2 you just aim where you want to hit to 400 yards. Beyond that I aim at the top of the hairline. No rangefinder required under 500 yards.
A 130 at 3200 from a 270? What barrel length?

Another plus for the TSX,TTSX,LRX is: Over the years I have taken a fair amount of elk & deer under 100yds. The mono's really shine on close shots. They don't explode & destroys copious amounts of prime meat. The meat is my main reason to hunt, not horns. So many only talk about long range but most game appears to be taken at ranges well under 300yds. A couple weeks back I took a muley buck with my 6.5-06 & a 129gr bonded C&C bullet at about 85yds. The bullet struck the very back edge of the soft shoulder blade, not the shoulder, then struck a rib which caused the bullet to explode throwing fragments everywhere... The destruction & blood shot meat went from the base of the neck to a good 8 or 9" back behind the shoulder ruining grind-able meat from between the ribs. It almost completely destroyed that shoulder. For me that was it for using C&C bullets on any big game from on... I have my own range & shoot regularly to 522yds. The Barnes 120gr TSX/TTSX works great at this range.

Barnes 7mm 120 TTSX go out of my 7mmRM at 3400 and are like laser accurate. I have not taken any game with them but am thinking any deer inside 400 would go down like a stone. The BC is correct; I;ve put a chrono out at 200, shot through it and they're still going 3030 (5K altitude) just as my app says it should. I like no lead frags or spray in my meat.

I run a 24", 8 twist , cfe 223, cci 450 primers. I also shoot 100 gr ttsx at 3000 fps They also work good on deer, speed goats, and any thing else that needs to die,lol. Have only used them to 250 yards so far on game, but they drop on the spot. I will go out to 500yrds with them on speed goats becouse they die so easy.

I was wondering if you tried lighter ones. I always assume the Grendel would do best around 100gr given capacity and the minimum speed to open. I've got a great load for the 123 eld that shoots in all my 6.5 and my brothers. But we are working up the 99gr hammers now I think that will be the ticket for 500 and under. Hammers seem to open better than Barnes especially farther out. Barnes and cutting edge I've used have had issues. The hammers so far have opened great. Keep in mind it's not enough data from my end yet to say for sure. But they do seem soft I dropped one point down and it closed off the hollow point. Gonna have to try cfe .223 I use that in my 6x45 with good results

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.