Barnes LRX Bullets

greener280

I see that Barnes have added three new bullets to their LRX lineup and the 168 7mm bullet sparks my interest. Does anyone have any experience with these bullets or opinions about them?

Just bought some 7mm 168gr LRX last week for SAKO. I didn't realize that the bullets "Require" 1:9" twist or faster. This SAKO is 1:10" twist. I had the bullets "keyhole" at 100yds. I could not find any published load data and was working up a load based on both the Barnes bullets either side of this in Manual #4. Started at 59gr RE25 and stopped at 63gr. No accuracy at all up to about 61gr and 63 gr has a group about 2" across but clearly keyholed. Rangemaster thought I had two holes in each one. Have decided to "pull" the bullets. Any other advice?

Bullet was not straight when it hit target. Was obviously wobbling as it went down range. When Barnes said 1:9" twist or faster they were not kidding. I missed the "requirement" when purchasing and then went ahead and loaded thinking it wouldn't make that much difference. I was wrong. Bullets entered target at what might have been 30deg angle. Almost like having two shots enter side by side.

I have learned a lesson.

Trapper,

Where are you located? When I spoke with Barnes about my gun, 1:9.5 twist, they felt because I am at 7200 feet and using a STW VS. say a 7mm-08 that I would be fine. He seamed to be saying the harder I can push them the better???

For this hunting season and time constraints I opted for the 145gr. LRX and I have been a bit in pressure. One thing I see is the 145gr. has only 2 canular rings where the 168's Barnes sent me have 3.

As of right now I am getting 3300 FPS with H1000. I was hoping for closer to 3400. I think I could get there with RL22 but I have had bad experience with it's temp instability so I dont want to use it just yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.