Barnes LRX bullets in 6.5

JMB 1911

There has been a lot of talk here about the Hornady ELD-X VS the Nosler Accubond in 6.5. Does anyone have experience with LRX or does the fact that it is lighter and has a lower BC simply make it not practical for the 6.5?

Does anyone know why Barnes doesn't offer a heavier bullet in 6.5? It seems to me that they are missing one of main features of the 6.5 which is a very long heavy for caliber bullet. With there 127 grain bullet I am way better off just to shoot my .270 for longer ranges.

Am I missing something

There has been a lot of talk here about the Hornady ELD-X VS the Nosler Accubond in 6.5. Does anyone have experience with LRX or does the fact that it is lighter and has a lower BC simply make it not practical for the 6.5?

Does anyone know why Barnes doesn't offer a heavier bullet in 6.5? It seems to me that they are missing one of main features of the 6.5 which is a very long heavy for caliber bullet. With there 127 grain bullet I am way better off just to shoot my .270 for longer ranges.

Am I missing something
Long " heavy for caliber" monos can quickly get beyond available twist rates needed. Most mono makers will tell you that a somewhat lighter bullet is as effective as a heavier cup and core because of the toughness and higher velocity attainable with a lighter bullet.

I get that the terminal performance is as good as a cup and core bullet but I have to believe the ballistic performance drop at distance and wind drift is greater because the B.C. seems to substantially less than the ELD-X or AB

I get that the terminal performance is as good as a cup and core bullet but I have to believe the ballistic performance drop at distance and wind drift is greater because the B.C. seems to substantially less than the ELD-X or AB
You are correct and thats why monos, for the most part, are not considered as suitable for long range! Again, if a mono did have the weight and b c to keep up with a heavy for caliber, high b c cup and core bullet, It would not stablize in in any available twist.
When I say long range, thats not to say that there are not monos that are effective out to 700 or so yards.

Yep minis for long range are caliber specific. I run monos in my rifle for extremely long range like .338 and .375. But they are built with that in mind.
That being said you must determine what the use is for before deciding if you need the biggest heaviest bc bullet. Most times you can pick up a lot of speed which makes it better for drop and drift at most hunting distances

6.5 SLR pushing a 127 LRX @ 3030fps MV, 637 yards.
Right behind onside leg, shattered a vertebrae, took out top of lungs, broke offside shoulder, exited.
This is the offside shoulder.
20161119_084810.jpg

20161122_091942.jpg

20161122_092826.jpg
20161122_092914.jpg

Yep they work well even at range. I've blasted the hammers through many pigs over 300 yards and according to the internet they are impossible to kill. Lol
Also went right through and audad. They are supposed to be tough. Barnes I assume would act the same way.

Yep they work well even at range. I've blasted the hammers through many pigs over 300 yards and according to the internet they are impossible to kill. Lol
Also went right through and audad. They are supposed to be tough. Barnes I assume would act the same way.
I respect Lance as much as anyone on the forum but to me, hitting a vertebrae and exiting through the shoulder does not prove long range performance if you only hit soft tissue between the ribs. There is no dount that most monos will penetrate. Not saying it WOULDNT have worked at that range, just that this doesnt prove it will.

That's true. It only proves that it Carrie enough steam to get through bone.
That's actually why I prefer hammers they are softer. I had one buck last year where all I hit was soft tissue and it still worked great.

@lancetkenyon thats perfect performance In my book!

I love using these in my 6.5 SAUM launched @ 3300 FPS.

how far did he run? I prefer these for good blood trails.
He went about 24"....straight down.
Bullet went exactly where I would have had my daughter put a Berger too. I doubt a Berger would have exited. And results would have probably been similar except an exit.

I have used Barnes in other rifles out to 488 with great results as well.

Last edited:
Another plus for the TSX,TTSX,LRX is: Over the years I have taken a fair amount of elk & deer under 100yds. The mono's really shine on close shots. They don't explode & destroys copious amounts of prime meat. The meat is my main reason to hunt, not horns. So many only talk about long range but most game appears to be taken at ranges well under 300yds. A couple weeks back I took a muley buck with my 6.5-06 & a 129gr bonded C&C bullet at about 85yds. The bullet struck the very back edge of the soft shoulder blade, not the shoulder, then struck a rib which caused the bullet to explode throwing fragments everywhere... The destruction & blood shot meat went from the base of the neck to a good 8 or 9" back behind the shoulder ruining grind-able meat from between the ribs. It almost completely destroyed that shoulder. For me that was it for using C&C bullets on any big game from on... I have my own range & shoot regularly to 522yds. The Barnes 120gr TSX/TTSX works great at this range.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.