Bansner Sheep Hunter VS…. something better?

wilkup

Looking for a lighter weight stock option and the Sheep Hunter checks almost all my boxes. The one thing I'd prefer is a little more vertical grip angle sorta like my Grayboe Terrain or a Manners SL/EH2.

Are there any other stocks out there that are comparable to the Sheep Hunter's size, weight and very competitive pricing I should be considering?

That's a great looking stock.

I have a couple of AGs but they're proprietary to the Smith I typically use.

I was just looking at this one from stockeys at 24 ounces in a 700 BDL config.

I just wish they would offer it inletted for M5 bottom metal. The weird thing is the price is without a recoil pad apparently and they charge $100 to put one on. It also does not say anything about installed pillars. Neither of those are a big deal to install yourself.

I have been seriously considering the AG Composite Privateer, Its 4 oz heavier but thats with the recoil pad and pillars so its probably only a couple after those are added.

I just wish they would offer it inletted for M5 bottom metal. The weird thing is the price is without a recoil pad apparently and they charge $100 to put one on. It also does not say anything about installed pillars. Neither of those are a big deal to install yourself.

I have been seriously considering the AG Composite Privateer, Its 4 oz heavier but thats with the recoil pad and pillars so its probably only a couple after those are added.
Wow! Didn't realize that $425 didn't include a recoil pad.
I've also been looking at the privateer myself. I went out shooting with my 270 again last night and really wish the Grayboe Terrain had a lighter weight option. That stock is perfection in every way but it's heavy weight.

Attachments

• CAD990F1-9C23-4F64-BE26-C5A560E36FF5.png
    CAD990F1-9C23-4F64-BE26-C5A560E36FF5.png
    541.8 KB · Views: 29
I would much rather have something with a raised comb but it seems to add a couple of oz's. The AG Visigoth is their lightest with a raised comb. Its 28oz which isn't bad. The Greyboe outlander is currently 32oz. When they first came out with the light weight outlander, it was 26oz to 28oz. I wish I had ordered one. I got a really good deal on a pre-light weight outlander on clearance. It weighs around 38oz which is the same as the terrain. I am wanting to replace it with something lighter. I spoke with Greyboe and they said they made some changes to their process which caused the weight to jump from 26oz to 32oz. They said that by the end of the year, beginning of next year, they were coming out with a lighter outlander that was closer to the original light weight version. If you can deal with the way it looks, the trekker is 26oz but they are about the same price as the privateer. You might try contacting greyboe to see if they have any plans to lighten up the terrain. They might be coming out with a lighter version like they are the outlander if you can wait but I doubt it would be less than 32oz.

I would much rather have something with a raised comb but it seems to add a couple of oz's. The AG Visigoth is their lightest with a raised comb. Its 28oz which isn't bad. The Greyboe outlander is currently 32oz. When they first came out with the light weight outlander, it was 26oz to 28oz. I wish I had ordered one. I got a really good deal on a pre-light weight outlander on clearance. It weighs around 38oz which is the same as the terrain. I am wanting to replace it with something lighter. I spoke with Greyboe and they said they made some changes to their process which caused the weight to jump from 26oz to 32oz. They said that by the end of the year, beginning of next year, they were coming out with a lighter outlander that was closer to the original light weight version. If you can deal with the way it looks, the trekker is 26oz but they are about the same price as the privateer. You might try contacting greyboe to see if they have any plans to lighten up the terrain. They might be coming out with a lighter version like they are the outlander if you can wait but I doubt it would be less than 32oz.
I'll give them a holler and ask. In the meantime, I may poke around the Terrain I've got and see if there's any places I could "trim the fat." I know recoil pads can sometimes weigh quite a bit, so I could definitely convert it to a flip flop pad to shave oz…

Have you looked at Pendleton stocks. They are located in Pendleton, Oregon.
I checked them out years ago. I like the Varsport, but am curious what the weight on it is.
Also discovered the stocks AGC makes for Alamo Precision and am wondering if they ever sell them as components.
Currently considering a Mesa Precision Altitude too, I just wish they'd offer it without that vertical tactical style grip.

I have a couple of their stocks on a couple rifles I had them build for me. Light weight was my goal. Believe that the stock was under 20 Oz. Not sure if they are the Varsport or not. Seem to be decent stocks with decent recoil pad, nice texture.