DRW vs "normal" 4x4 - which is better?

fmajor

Hi all -

I've never driven a DRW truck and am wondering about their performance in 4x4 mode for 2-tracks, deep snow, etc. I read recently they are not as good in snow as standard non-DRW vehicles.

I'd also be opting for a manual transmission (been driving 'em since '79 and strongly prefer them - especially in adverse weather conditions).

If it matters, the truck is for getting up into the mtns for elk hunting here in CO as well as pulling a camper and any other odds and ends I need...

Thanks!

I have two dodge dually trucks. One is a cab and chassis 4500 and can be chained up with three railers chains with lots of room. It rips in snow chained up, sucks bad without chains. It pulls all trailers like it is on rails
One is a regular non chassis cab 3500 dually with aluminum flat bed. Pulls all trailers great. Not enough room between tires for tree railers and no room for chains between inner dual tire and leaf spring. Rips in snow with no trailer and goes okay with chains on the outside dual tire but gets hairy when you spin down and ice up on inside dual tire.
My best and oldest truck is a 2005 dodge cummins no emisions single rear wheel, with an aluminum flatbed. This truck pulls a heavy bumper pull trailer down the road like a wandering goat bouncing off the mayonnaise and the mustard. Gooseneck or fifth wheel trailers are not bad to pull but wander in the wind. Chained up, it will pull six horses up some nasty, hairy, icy two track roads.

THanks Rooster! - Below are my subsequent questions.... please excuse my ignorance. I grew up in northern Michigan and know snow/ice and a lot of folks use the DRW trucks, but no one that I knew personally had one and I've never used one myself.

Having lived in mountainous areas the last 10-12 years, I've learned you can never have too much traction in deep snow up steep trails!

I have two dodge dually trucks. One is a cab and chassis 4500 and can be chained up with three railers chains with lots of room. It rips in snow chained up, sucks bad without chains. It pulls all trailers like it is on rails

What do you mean by "cab and chassis" - is that like a flatbed or tool-box bed?

One is a regular non chassis cab 3500 dually with aluminum flat bed. Pulls all trailers great. Not enough room between tires for tree railers and no room for chains between inner dual tire and leaf spring. Rips in snow with no trailer and goes okay with chains on the outside dual tire but gets hairy when you spin down and ice up on inside dual tire.

So, do other DRW 1-ton and 3/4 ton have this limitation with wheel chains on the back?

My best and oldest truck is a 2005 dodge cummins no emisions single rear wheel, with an aluminum flatbed. This truck pulls a heavy bumper pull trailer down the road like a wandering goat bouncing off the mayonnaise and the mustard. Gooseneck or fifth wheel trailers are not bad to pull but wander in the wind. Chained up, it will pull six horses up some nasty, hairy, icy two track roads.

I'm really interested in the Cummins diesels (especially those before the added emissions) and strictly with the manual 6-speed trans.

Unfortunately from what I've read, aside from the Cummins motor, the remainder of Dodge trucks are not so well regarded. I speak only from what I've read - no personal, 1st hand knowledge on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.