ballistic tips or not

redneck watchdog

when i was young all i and my dad shot with was the good old lead point bullets. as i was growing up ballistic tips became popular, or at least i heard about them. and i was under the impression that since the ballistic tip was more pointed it would cut through the air better therefore being more accurate.

a few years ago my dad complained about how his gun would not shoot the ballistic tips well. and he went back to the lead. i have noticed that my gun is not shooting a pattern that i would call good, with the ballistic tip bullets.

do yall think it is the ballistic tip or the type of bullet? he shoots hornady interlock and i shoot hornady interbond. what is the difference and which is better? what is recomended for distance shooting?

If they are not shooting good from your rifle try something else. Every rifle is different. I have a Rem 700 in .222 that will not shoot 1MOA with 50g Vmax or Blitz kings but a switch to Sierra Match kings and guns shoots consistant 5 shot 1/2 MOA.

I've had luck with using hornady sst bullets when i had a rifle that did not like nosler bt's. Though luckily i've only got a couple that don't do well with the noslers. I very much prefer the plastic tipped bullets because they deform less when in the magazine and the better the bullet condition when fired is the more accurate it will be, especially at longer ranges. Also try different seating depths as this can have a bigger influence on accuracy than most people think

It is not the ballistic tips per say. As others have mentioned, every rifle is different. A ballistic tip is not necessarily more accurate that a non-tipped either. What a ballistic tip will do is often increase b.c. (depending on design) and will help to initiate expansion. This can be a good or bad thing depending on the bullet construction, velocity, distance, and intended target. i.e. sometimes you might want quicker expansion and sometimes not. In other words, the bullet not only needs to be tailored to your rifle but to the intended use as well........rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.