180 gr ballistic tips

shooterpunk2

Hey guys, im going to start working some new loads for my .30-06 for elk hunting and was wanting to try the 180 gr. ballistic tips. Do you think these bullets are effective on elk? I've heard that people have had problems with them exploding on impact and not penetrating at all. should i try these or stick with my gamekings? thanks!

I've seen 180 Gamekings explode and fail to penetrate more than 3" on mule deer 3". Two bullets from the same rifle on the same deer. The first was a chest shot, forward of the shoulder that did not penetrate the chest cavity at about 250 to 300 yds. The second shot was about 50 or 60 yds and was a high spine shot (not where he was aiming but that's where the bullet went) it blew-up and distroyed the near backstrap and did manage to break the spine but there was no damage on the far side of the deer.

I've been using 115 Ballistic Tips for years in my 25-06 and don't know if I've ever recovered a bullet because they always pass through at distances from 40 to 300 yds. Mostly used on deer but also one nice 350 lb black bear.

I'll buy off on any Accubond, or Swift Scirocco, or Barnes-X, etc. recommendation. Elk are tough and I've seen several absorb 3 or 4 premium bullets before hitting the dirt, but I wouldn't be so fast to condemn the Ballistic Tips or to praise the Gamekings.

If you're worried about it go with premium bullets.

My $0.02.

ive been looking at berger vld bullets lately and i think im going to go with them.

I like the Bergers, In the last 7 months I have taken a 6x7 Elk, adult 4x4 Muley, 2 good Axis bucks, a trophy Black Buck Antelope and a Trophy Aoudad Ram. All with 210 VLD's and never tracked a single one.

JMO

Jeff

really? that sounds pretty good to me, although i think the 210 is too heavy for a .30-06, im thinking about the 175 or 185 gr. i hear they like to be seated into the lands, any truth to that?

I have some 190's I am going to load up for one of my 300 Weatherbys. I load them as long as the mag box will allow. I can't get to the lands with the freebore of the Wby. I sure would give them a try, Depending on the barrel, twist and the ranges you are going to shoot I think one of those two would work great.

Jeff

At the velocity you have with the '06 the 180 gr Ballistic Tip would work fine on elk but I would have to agree with Joel and say that since its there, there is no reason not to step up to the 180 gr Accubond as it offers all the good things that the BT offers but also in a much better bullet for penetrating and bullet weight retention.

I would pic the 180 gr Accubond even over the 180 gr Partition. In my testing the Accubond will retain at least as much bullet weight and generally put penetrate the partition. Plus it shoots flatter and bucks the wind better!!

For a commercial big game bullet, the Accubonds are about as good as things get, if your rifle shoots them well and most do.

I forget the exact b.c. but it is almost the same as the 200gn accubond. In the '06 the added muzzel vel. would be great over the 200grn accubond. I just ordered some to try. Looking forward to using them. Going to try them in a 30-06 and 30-338 lapua imp. I know, not very heavy for cal, but I'm not ready for the loooong ranges yet.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.