Ballistic calculator/rangefinder/kestrel question

Jay03

I hope this is in the right section but here goes.

I am setting up a rifle that I plan to shoot out to 800-1000 yards when possible. This will be the first time I have built a rifle used primarily for long range. My plans are targets, and maybe some rock chucks and coyotes. The rifle is a 6.5x47Lapua with a nightforce ATACR 5-25(waiting for it still). So my questions are about the equipment used to get the right elevation and windage dialed in the scope.

I have a leica 1200 rangefinder and currently have a kestrel 4000 or 4500 non ballistic weather meter(I forgot witch one Ill have to look).

So with the stuff I have currently could I get the applied ballistics app for a smart phone and enter the data? Or is the dedicated AB kestrel necessary? Also is there anything about the 1600B leica that's a must have over my 1200 if I am using a ballistic calculator and kestrel?

I don't mind the money aspect but already having what I do currently 30 more for the app to at least get me started seems like it could be a good way to start and maybe upgrade to the better kestrel down the road.

Since I am not familiar with any of the ballistic apps could someone with some first hand knowledge help spell it out for me how they would work in my proposed configuration or with the AB kestrel and what the differences would be.

I have done some searching and reading but cant seem to find much info on using a basic kestrel with applied ballistics. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.