338 edge / ballistic calculator opinions

Victorfmr24

Looking for some input on what ballistic calculator I should use. I bought a 338 edge from defensive edge and have a Lica 1600 range finder. I am using the strelok app but am always shooting a little high. The range finder and gun work great and I can shoot a three or four inch group on a good day at eight hundred yards. I need to figure out how to use a ballistic calculator and which one to use.

If you have an iPhone or iPod you can download iSnipe from Apple for cheap (I seem to remember $15). I also have a program I run on my desktop computer. Sometimes I'll use them to check each other. They always agree.

Strelok pro is a decent program, you should be able to run one G7 BC to about a mile, from there you'll need to tune it. Applied Ballistics will get you 2000+ on a custom bullet profile OR it has the ability to create a custom profile based on your shooting. There are critical inputs that you MUST nail to gain range with accurate solutions!

Thanks I have an I phone. I am thinking about getting the bullet flight app.? Applied ballistics.? I don't plan on hunting extreme ranges any time in the near future but would like to have the right calculator to shoot that far for practice. I shot a five shot group at an old piece of sheet rock one morning at work at 1571 yards and had a groupe size of fifteen inches. The hits were all on the target but about three feet low. The gun is better than me, my range finder works great, but I don't know which calculator is best even out to extreme ranges.

Thanks do you think applied ballistics is a better option than bullet flight. My range finder gives me pressure, slope angle and temperature. I know there are many factors besides bullet drop. Here is what I've been dealing with. At 1050 yards the calculator is right on. Anywhere in between it has always hit a little high anywhere from 4 to eight inches. When it came to hunting last fall I would just go 1/2 to 3/4 under what it called for. It worked. My wife shot an elk at 800 yards. Dropped it one shot. I got my elk at 650 and my deer at 350. But the calculator is off. I bought an expensive gun so I wont ever grow out of it. I just need to learn how to get the right dope first shot. Thanks guys.

Compared to point of impact, strelok is calculating drops that are accurate at 1050 yds, but high at shorter range and at longer range? That does seem to point to the need for a ballistic profile. It sounds to me like the BC needs to be lower (flatter) at shorter range, and higher at longer ranges.

I use Ballistic and it handles custom ballistic profiles. I haven't used that feature, though.

The issue your having may not be resolved with another program, a 338 Edge with a 300 gr bullet and Strelok pro you should not be of by enough to measure at 1500 yards with a single G7 BC. Are your running Strelok pro, plus or free? What bullet are you shooting, Berger, SMK or Accubomb?

Thanks for the help. I'm getting applied ballistics. I went shooting today at 400, 800, and 1200 yds and got the actual drops vs what my calculator said. At four hundred strelok was 4 inches high. At 800 it was 2 or 3 inches high and at 1200 it was 18 inches low. I was shooting east though and forgot about the coriolis effect (spelling?) how much does the coriolis effect me at 1200? I only had time for three shots at 1200 and had a vertical spread of 2 inches and horizontal spread of 7.25 inches. Thank you defensive edge for an amazing rifle!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.