Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

Good report. I've got a bunch of those same 140 gr Badlands Precision bullets for my 6.8 Western 26" barrel but somehow I ended up working up my load with the 156 gr. Hammer Hunter. After reading I'm planning on going back to work up a load with the 140 gr. mono's. My plan is to start with Ramshot Magnum powder as it is the slowest that I have at this time, even though I've been looking for H1000. For my 156 gr. Hammer Hunter I used StaBall6.5 which was what I had, but I believe that I left 150-200 fps behind compared to slower burning powder because of the burn rate. What powder were you using? Maybe not applicable to me since your barrel is only 19" vs 26".
I load for two different .270 Sherman's. The 19" uses 62.1 gr RL26 for 3030, and the 25.5" uses 65.3 gr of VV N-565 for 3240.

Great reading! I just received my 300 WSM back with a Bartlein 20" 1:10 on it. I had planned to run 175 LRX's as this will be a timber gun, but I decided to try some Bulldozers. I might have messed up by ordering the 195's instead of 175's, but if I can get them to around 2800 FPS I'll be okay. I'm not sure if that's going to be possible though. I loaded up some H4350 loads to try out when I get time. I also ordered some .264 125's, which should be scorching out out of my PRC. Anyone have load data for each combination? I've had great luck with 215 and 156 Berger's, but why not try a mono!

Great reading! I just received my 300 WSM back with a Bartlein 20" 1:10 on it. I had planned to run 175 LRX's as this will be a timber gun, but I decided to try some Bulldozers. I might have messed up by ordering the 195's instead of 175's, but if I can get them to around 2800 FPS I'll be okay. I'm not sure if that's going to be possible though. I loaded up some H4350 loads to try out when I get time. I also ordered some .264 125's, which should be scorching out out of my PRC. Anyone have load data for each combination? I've had great luck with 215 and 156 Berger's, but why not try a mono!
I have some load data for a 24" 300 wsm and the 175's using H4831sc on page 35-36 this thread, however I think that gun has a pretty tight bore, and it was not be broke in as it had less than 50 rounds down it still, but velocity was not where it should have been even with standard WSM loads. Ended up only running them at 2875, max was 2930ish. I plan on checking velocity again

I leave for Wyoming on Saturday. Hopefully I have the chance to try out and report on the .338, 275 SBD2, on a whitetail or mule deer!
Just received my order of .338 250gr SBDII bullets. They are slick. Really like those alum tips. Will have them on the scale soon. Can't wait to see what they do to deer and bear.

ETA: they were packaged very well. Individually seated in foam. Thick padded outer packaging with a ton of packaging tape. USPS tracking number. From order to door in VA one week.

Last edited:
You guys and your .338's! I want to see some terminal performance reviews on the .308, .264 and .243 bullets. When you hit a whitetail with a Volkswagen, it's probably going to work 🤣
338 for Whitetail !?! No way! My 338 is strictly my squirrel/groundhog gun.

Might need to send another one. You can never be too sure!?!

Last edited:
I'm going to give that bullet a try in my new 27 cal build, but MV will be a little lower.

You're impact velocities are all very high. Running the data, I'll be at 2000fps by 675yds. Putting most hunting impacts in the 2700-2300 range, which I'm sure will work, but I'm most interested in seeing stuff at the 1800-2000 range.

I've never been far enough from an animal to get impacts that slow. Even shooting out of my short barrel 6.5CM with the 125, I'd need 525yd impacts, which I haven't seen with that rifle.
Casey Knoor assisted a friend in shooting an Elk in the Wasatch Mountains using a 195 gr .308 BD2 with a similar BC as the 140 gr .277 SBD2. The Bull Elk was hit at 1225 yds at an estimated impact velocity of about 1760 fps, and dropped in its tracks. The impact velocity was estimated from data he had collected during his load development for that hunt figuring in the atmospherics at the time of the shot. I would also refer you to Cody's post above detailing a 700 yd shot on an Elk.

Good report. I've got a bunch of those same 140 gr Badlands Precision bullets for my 6.8 Western 26" barrel but somehow I ended up working up my load with the 156 gr. Hammer Hunter. After reading I'm planning on going back to work up a load with the 140 gr. mono's. My plan is to start with Ramshot Magnum powder as it is the slowest that I have at this time, even though I've been looking for H1000. For my 156 gr. Hammer Hunter I used StaBall6.5 which was what I had, but I believe that I left 150-200 fps behind compared to slower burning powder because of the burn rate. What powder were you using? Maybe not applicable to me since your barrel is only 19" vs 26".
Using a faster powder like StaBall 6.5 is not a bad idea in shorter barrels.

I'm going to see if I can source some. I've pretty much got everything else, but I know H4350 has a storied history with heavier bullets in the 300 WSM, so I figured I would try it with the short barrel. Anyone ever try N565? My RL-26 is devoted more to my 6.5 PRC and Creedmoor, and I don't even want to try to find more of it. I've got a little 7828, but it's not my first pick due to it being single based. I've heard it is pretty stable though?

I'm going to see if I can source some. I've pretty much got everything else, but I know H4350 has a storied history with heavier bullets in the 300 WSM, so I figured I would try it with the short barrel. Anyone ever try N565? My RL-26 is devoted more to my 6.5 PRC and Creedmoor, and I don't even want to try to find more of it. I've got a little 7828, but it's not my first pick due to it being single based. I've heard it is pretty stable though?
The same powder that gives the best velocity in long barrels, will still typically give the best velocity in short barrels as well, I would still try H4350. The faster powders may be better if your concerned about having lower muzzle pressures, say for supressors or load tuning, but the powder that gives maximum attainable velocity doesn't usually change with barrel length. I have never tried N565 in a 300 wsm, I would think it would be on the slow side, but can't say from experience. I am going to try to use it as a replacement for rl26 in my .260ai, we will see how it works.

Last edited:
65 Staball is pretty easy to find now.