6.5 Matrix Terminal Ballistics Thread!! *Graphic*

Outlaw6.0

Gents,

I had made a few promises to post my result of the 160 Matrix VLD from my 6.5WSM this year. I was holding out after my goat hunt but I haven't made it out yet.

As every year goes, I get myself all hyped up for a nice long range shot to showcase a solid rig, good loading practices & healty marksmanship.... Well I got a dandy shot this year. A whopping 155yds :D But I wasn't about to ask this feller to hold still while I backed up a ways....

So, before I share the post mortem, lets view the specifics shall we?

Rifle Specs:
Custom LRI built 6.5WSM
Stiller LH/SA Single Shot Follower
Obermeyer MTU 1-8.4" 5R Finished at ~30"
Matrix 6.5mm 160grn VLD
Norma 270WSM brass (think i'm running a .292 bushing)
Federal 210M
63.0grns VV-N570
Muzzle Velocity: 3100fps
Impact Velocity: ~2920fps

First shot was slightly quartering toward me, I tucked it in close to the onside shoulder. Boom! Smack! Buck does not drop, barely flinches... ***? Buck starts hobbling to my left, I maintain sight picture as I chamber another round.

Buck stops, hold same spot... Boom! Smack & buck drops... Why in the world didn't he go down on the first?!

With this being my first on game rounds with the 160, my first thought as we approach this feller is: "Roll'em over & let's see what the exit's look like."

Only problem is, there aren't any. Neither round exited the buck.... Okey dokey, i'm pretty sure I don't like that one bit... One would think the Sectional Density of a 160grn 6.5 would push even a cup & core thru a Mule Deer... at least part of it, right?

2014 Muley.jpg

Now that he's opened up, lets take a looksee....

As you see at the bottom of the pic, both round share a close point of impact. Now, as most of you know, I shoot mono's; either Barnes or CEB's & their entrance wounds don't look like this. So, for you Berger, A-Max, etc shootin' dudes; is this normal? Seriously, I have no idea. The pics look to me like the Matrix started opening VERY quickly.

160 Matrix 2014 -2.jpg

Look at the far side of this feller, either both boolits went into the same exit hole (in the rib cage) or only one (1) boolit even made it to the far side of this old buck. I inspected this guy very carefully from the off side/outside. No holes, no lumps, no sign whatsoever that a projectile hit the inside of that ribcage.

With that being said, the internals were tore to pieces... mass devastation, I guess that's a win?

Feel free to post your thoughts & experience on this. & please! Post your 6.5 Matrix kills!! 150 or 160, I don't care.

t

Did the two bullets both enter on the buck's left side? Can't tell from your pick or story. It look's like damage to both sides of the inner rib cage - based on your photo. Yet you state "no sign whatsoever that a projectile hit the inside of that ribcage."

I'm clear that no bullet exited the hide on the offside. But did either bullet reach the inner ribcage on the offside ribs?

Excellent writeup and congrats on a successful hunt! Thanks for posting this along with all of the technical data. It sure looks like that 6.5wsm of yours is one sweet setup.

I'm thinking that the high impact velocity opened those bullets up quick and they used up all their energy inside the animal and nothing left to exit. I have never used those Matrix bullets, but I assume they are similar to a Berger VLD, where they typically do not exit up close. Exits happen once the bullet slows down and does not initiate such violent expansion on impact. I believe Broz's writeup of the Berger 210 VLD and 215 Hyrbrid show this with all the animals he shot. I don't think there is anything to dislike about the bullets performance, your first shot killed him for sure.

And on the buck not folding on the first shot, I have shot several elk, right through the heart, that just tensed up and did nothing for several seconds. Just depends on the animal and the exact, unrepeatable circumstances of the shot.

Again, nice work, and thanks for sharing your results.

Which jacket does your 160's have, the J4 or Corbin, annealed?

We shot a number of whitetail with them last year at bow range and they did not all exit, you poured the contents out of their chest cavity. I'd say up close they open more aggressive than a Berger 140, the 150 Matrix seems to be penetrating better at close range than the 160. Hopefully well get some data this year at long range on them but every time we go out prepared for a long kill you can beat them of with a stick :D

Congrats on a nice buck! I too am confused on which was the entrance hole? I THINK from what you said, it was the large hole? It seems like the 150's might be penetrating a little better, but different situations, so not sure? I would have thought something would have made it clear through, but you sure can't complain about the damage. I am guessing if the shot was at 250-300, there would have been a good exit hole. One of us needs to clock something at 800 or more with the 150 AND the 160. I have plenty of good data at 440 and under:D I know what you mean about practicing religiously at long range then powder burning one!! Anyway, good post. We need ALL kinds of data........Rich

Did the two bullets both enter on the buck's left side? Can't tell from your pick or story. It look's like damage to both sides of the inner rib cage - based on your photo. Yet you state "no sign whatsoever that a projectile hit the inside of that ribcage."

I'm clear that no bullet exited the hide on the offside. But did either bullet reach the inner ribcage on the offside ribs?

Yes sir, both entered the left side of the buck; I could have made that clearer my apologies. The statement "no sign whatsoever that a projectile hit the inside of that ribcage." was made in reference to my observations from the outside of the passenger side of the buck. To your second question yes, one "something" made it to the far side of the buck just far enough to poke a hole between those two ribs. That was what I was trying to explain.

Team, let me make it very clear at this point. I am in no way trying to shine a negative light on Matrix; I am simply sharing my surprise at what happened & asking feedback from those of you who shoot bullets of similar construction.

t

Excellent writeup and congrats on a successful hunt! Thanks for posting this along with all of the technical data. It sure looks like that 6.5wsm of yours is one sweet setup.

I'm thinking that the high impact velocity opened those bullets up quick ......

And on the buck not folding on the first shot, I have shot several elk, right through the heart, that just tensed up and did nothing for several seconds. Just depends on the animal and the exact, unrepeatable circumstances of the shot.

Again, nice work, and thanks for sharing your results.

Timber, thank you for your kind words, I sincerely appreciate it. I whole heartedly agree with your second point, that is exactly what I was thinking after dressing the buck. Velocity (IMHO) had a vital role in this experience.

I'm no stranger to bagging & taggin game, I've killed more mulies than I can honestly count & this is the first experience I can remember that one hasn't bit it instantly with a well placed shot. It didn't even take him off his feet (i'm not talking 12ga movie effects :D) Maybe i've been lucky in the past?

You're welcome, I enjoy doing these. One of these days i'll get good at it! :cool:

t

Which jacket does your 160's have, the J4 or Corbin, annealed?

We shot a number of whitetail with them last year at bow range and they did not all exit, you poured the contents out of their chest cavity. I'd say up close they open more aggressive than a Berger 140, the 150 Matrix seems to be penetrating better at close range than the 160. Hopefully well get some data this year at long range on them but every time we go out prepared for a long kill you can beat them of with a stick :D

BNG, I can't tell you which jacket it is. The box doesn't designate one way or the other... Heck, there isn't even a lot number that I can find. They are not annealed (at least by me). I hear you about the "beat them with a stick comment" every time I swear. :rolleyes: I still have my goat tag, hopefully this weekend :D

Congrats on a nice buck! I too am confused on which was the entrance hole? I THINK from what you said, it was the large hole? It seems like the 150's might be penetrating a little better, but different situations, so not sure? I would have thought something would have made it clear through, but you sure can't complain about the damage. I am guessing if the shot was at 250-300, there would have been a good exit hole. One of us needs to clock something at 800 or more with the 150 AND the 160. I have plenty of good data at 440 and under:D I know what you mean about practicing religiously at long range then powder burning one!! Anyway, good post. We need ALL kinds of data........Rich

Thank you Rich, I appreciate the positive input from my peers. I too agree that a longer shot should produce an exit; with some luck this weekend will prove what we're both thinking.

t

Holy moly. There's not much separation distance between those ribs prior to separating the sternum. Those bullets completely came unglued in a very short distance. I'm surprised the deer didn't buckle at the first shot with an instant discharge of bullet energy within the chest cavity. Talk about the walking dead.

I had a 210gr Berger VLD perform like this on a mid-sized black bear about 8 years ago. Point blank range in the chest cavity. I was dumbfounded that 210 grains of lead and copper jacket could disintegrate without ever leaving marks on the inner - opposite side of the chest cavity. Impact velocity from my 300 Win Mag would have been about 2900fps.

Thanks for sharing.

Holy moly. There's not much separation distance between those ribs prior to separating the sternum. Those bullets completely came unglued in a very short distance. I'm surprised the deer didn't buckle at the first shot with an instant discharge of bullet energy within the chest cavity. Talk about the walking dead.....

Yessir, you're thinking is identical to mine. I was awestruck he didn't have all 4 pointed skyward after the first shot with the amount of damage done... That is what prompted me to share my experience on LRH. I really wanted to see what everyone else's experience was.

t

To me it looks like the buck was quartering away from you, large entrance close to the shoulder on the left side, bullet blows like he inhaled a grenade then the mangled back 1/4 of the bullet exits the chest a couple ribs forward taking a large section of rib and breaking the second and coming to a stop under the RH shoulder.

Entrance is a bit larger than I'd like and much larger than what I've seen typical with a Berger in the 6.5. I have seen a few entrances from Cauterucio bullets and these big Matrix and some other cals that were very high explosive and the entrances showed signs that there was a lot of reflective energy maybe, organ pulled out of the entrance, diaphragm split and grass in the entrance even though hit well forward, ribs broken OUT on the entrance also. I've seen a lot of exits out of the ribs like that and though the bullet did not exit the meat or hide but when we skin them there is a very small exit which a lot of people think is a bullet penciling but since they us a guttless method they never see the horror show in the center.

I've honestly only dumped two mulies where they stand, one made a classic mule deer mistake and looked back when he though he was out of range and caught a Barnes right between the head lights, the second was last year my buck to a 140 CEB through the top shoulder angling forward through the spine exiting the center of the neck, he dropped but was very much alive when I got there and required dispatching
For the most part I've seen them trot a little ways then fall over shortly after the oil pressure light goes on :Dhttp://www.longrangehunting.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Bullet doesn't have to exit to preform. Those bullets are made to expand at long range. They preformed awesome it looks like from the picture. Everything was soup which means the animal absorbed massive kenetic energy. I would be very very happy. Just me I shoot matrix and vlds and love them. If u want an exit at close range all the time, its time for a 338 300 grain bullet:)

Kasey

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts