Terminal Ballistics Testing

The Bullet Test Tube might be useful for comparing bullets, but like water it won't correlate to tissue.....

Roy, OIL???? grin......

I don't beleive that the point of these test is to corrolate to animal tissue and bone. I believe that these test were to determine if the HAT bullets will mushroom at all. In goodgroopers test he compared the HAt's to other bullets of known game performance and they mushroomed and the Hat bullets did not and in that reguard the tests are realivant IMHO. No the test will not give an accurate estimate of wound channel depth or diameter in actual animals but, that was not the intent of the test to begin with IMHO.

i actually loaded a .308win down to theoretical .300WM 500 yrd velocities to see how they might expand. No, the rpms weren't there but i thought it would give me a good idea. the pvc still came apart quite violently. thats when i moved to steel pipe.

"I don't beleive that the point of these test is to corrolate to animal tissue and bone. I believe that these test were to determine if the HAT bullets will mushroom at all. In goodgroopers test he compared the HAt's to other bullets of known game performance and they mushroomed and the Hat bullets did not and in that reguard the tests are realivant IMHO "

I understand that, however, as I stated in my first post- paper is not an adequate test medium. Some bullets that perform wonderfully in tissue, may perform poorly in paper, and vice-versa. If he wants to see if it will upset at all, he needs to shoot them in water....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts