Badlands BD2 experience

Elkeater

Who's using the badlands BD2? I was looking at giving the 150gr .284s a try. Currently using 140gr absolute hammers at a touch over 3000fps but I'm looking for something with a bit higher BC in our windy canyons. Haven't decided to switch yet but giving it some thought.

Limited experience, only tried the .25 cal 110gr.

BC was quite high for copper, as advertised. Terminal performance similar to Barnes, maybe a little more terminal damage. Behind the shoulder gave me small exit wounds, good but not as impressive as hammers. Shot in the shoulder produced a couple bang flops and devastating damage. Saw some evidence of petals shearing off and the shank tumbling through (which I have no problem with). Only killed a handful of pigs and deer so not great sample size.

Easier to find an accurate load than Barnes, not as easy as a hammer.

Strictly my opinion:

terminal performance Barnes<BD2<hammer

Ease of load development
Barnes<BD2<hammer

BC/long range capability
Hammer<Barnes<BD2

Both BD2 and hammer readily available, Barnes not so much.

Sounds they they will be a good option for what you need. Try to him them in the shoulder blade if you're looking for that bang-flop.

I killed a small bull elk this season with the 135 SBD2 out of a 6.5-284. The shot was only 150 yards and did not get an exit. HOWEVER, the bull was HARD quartering toward me. At the shot he dropped so fast I couldn't believe my eyes. Now I say I didn't get an exit, but, the bullet did make it into the guts so I'd say it traveled at least 3-4 feet of elk after breaking front side shoulder and spine. So I'm happy with the performance. I also shot an average Midwest whitetail last fall, entrance was slightly over caliber diameter and exit was about 1-1.25" complete pass though broadside at around 140 yards.

Side note. While on the elk hunt I killed 2 coyotes, both were over 400 yards, The first dropped immediately, the second was 480 at a fast trot going away, He did a few spins before I hit him with a second round and he dropped also…