ablr experience ?

den

I beleive that I possibly have a nice load in a 7-08 with the 150 ablr , yesterday I shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards that can be covered with a dime this is right at .030 off lands the best I can measure by seating at this oal it puts the bt junction right above the shoulder neck junction in my criterion barrel. before leaving I shot a couple water filled half gallon milk jugs at 390 yards pretty easily , I dug one of the bullets out of the semi rocky bank after it went through the jug and blew some dirt it was probably around eight inches deep nice little mushroom weighing around 60 gr must have blew 90 gr of tip area in the dirt, I am pretty happy with all this then this morning I read all these posts all over saying I had a load with these ablr bullets and then suddenly they go to crap on them that sucks my bullets are factory seconds and I have been working on this load for about 75 rounds now doing powder workup and the berger oal method then fine tuning the depth in .003 .006 .009 either side of the best oal from the berger method I sure hope these loads do not go south on me as this has to be one of the best 7-08 mid range hunting bullets ever imo, I am running h 4350 cci lr win brass @ 2850 fps I guess my question is has anybody been shooting these for a while with consistent accuracy for a# of rounds ? thanks

I beleive that I possibly have a nice load in a 7-08 with the 150 ablr , yesterday I shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards that can be covered with a dime this is right at .030 off lands the best I can measure by seating at this oal it puts the bt junction right above the shoulder neck junction in my criterion barrel. before leaving I shot a couple water filled half gallon milk jugs at 390 yards pretty easily , I dug one of the bullets out of the semi rocky bank after it went through the jug and blew some dirt it was probably around eight inches deep nice little mushroom weighing around 60 gr must have blew 90 gr of tip area in the dirt, I am pretty happy with all this then this morning I read all these posts all over saying I had a load with these ablr bullets and then suddenly they go to crap on them that sucks my bullets are factory seconds and I have been working on this load for about 75 rounds now doing powder workup and the berger oal method then fine tuning the depth in .003 .006 .009 either side of the best oal from the berger method I sure hope these loads do not go south on me as this has to be one of the best 7-08 mid range hunting bullets ever imo, I am running h 4350 cci lr win brass @ 2850 fps I guess my question is has anybody been shooting these for a while with consistent accuracy for a# of rounds ? thanks

Dime sized groups at 300 yds? Dont mess with a thing except add more bullets and primers and such to the kitty and load a bunch of them up

This is at 100 yrds Cant seem to get out in good conditions to shoot groups at 200 or more yet

Attachments

• IMG_20160424_115345.jpg
    IMG_20160424_115345.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 58
The middle right is the ablr that went through the jug at 390 yards about 9 inches into the Bank the others two on the right were at 480 yds the top went through a jug flew around 10 ft then impacted bank the other was a Miss directly into dirt at 480, the left a 143 eldx through 4 or 5 1gallon jugs at 200 yds all four bullets weigh in the 60/ 70 gr range

Attachments

• IMG_20160424_114058.jpg
    IMG_20160424_114058.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 62
I just started working up some loads for two of my Remington 7mm-08. One is a model 700 with a 24" barrel and the other is a Remington model 7 with a 20" barrel. I am using150g ABLR, 40g IMR 4064, fed primers and Remington brass. I started with 2.800 coal which is .173 off lands. 2720fs. The rem 700 shot a 3/4 group at 100yrds, not bad for first load. The model 7 didn't like it at all. shot a 4" group. I have different loads worked up with the coal down to .025 off lands but haven't gotten to get out because the weather has been bad. I hope I get them both down to 1/2MOA. My son in law is shooting the 175 ABLR out of his 7MM stw and is at 1/2MOA at 300yrds.

Den, how many grains are you shooting to get 2850?

The best I have gotten out of my Remington 700 7mm-08 is about MOA with the 150 ABLR, and I can't seem to push them fast. 2650fps or so interpolating from the the loading data. Using a different powder, I might be able to push the 162 ELD-X to at least that speed, possibly faster, so I picked up some 162 ELD-Ms to test. I might try to load them long to make use of the long Remington throat. I have been shooting mostly the 140 AB; the rifle shoots 3/4 MOA and I can push them at 2800+.

I am using the ABLR 129gr in my 264 WM, I haven't experienced any of the problems I have seen stated. My furthest shot at game has been just over 660yrds. The deer dropped on the spot. The bullet was found still in the inside of the rib cage, didn't make it through, both lungs were jello.
I can readily hit my gongs at 1000yrds, I run out of elevation for 12000yrds, but can manage successive hits readily.

Cheers.
gun)

I am using the ABLR 129gr in my 264 WM, I haven't experienced any of the problems I have seen stated. My furthest shot at game has been just over 660yrds. The deer dropped on the spot. The bullet was found still in the inside of the rib cage, didn't make it through, both lungs were jello.
I can readily hit my gongs at 1000yrds, I run out of elevation for 12000yrds, but can manage successive hits readily.

Cheers.
gun)

What's that load?
Retumbo and 215?
Have you chronographed?

Sorry for the interrogation, my barrel will be here this week.

thanks for the replies I dont want to post my load weight as it is above hodgdons web sites recomended max, but at the same time I am 2 grains under my lee manuals max for a 150 gr bullet actualy 1.5gr under for a 162 in that book and I had them to 2850 before but got a sticky bolt when it warmed up in the summer I am pretty sure I wont see that with this load as I am hardly getting any trim on brass and primers are very tight on the 4th firing now, as too my velocities I have a shooter chrony so ? , but the drops seem to be good so far and have always been close with everything else that I have ran

Brice, I can't post my load, my rifle is custom, 28" barrel with a throat long enough to seat the 142gr ABLR so the heal doesn't go below the shoulder juncture.
The chrono says 3392fps for the average of 10 shots.
I have used H1000, Retumbo, RE25 and RE33 so far. Retumbo is the most accurate, then RE25 then H1000, RE33 is still being tested.
All loads have been tried with both WLRM and Fed215's. WLRM primers proved more accurate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

I have tried them in several rifles with different degrees of success. In a .260 AI the 142gr at a velocity of 2910fps prints nice, consistent groups (about 3/4 MOA). My best group was 10 shots in a nice round 4.7" group at 600 yards. I have taken a few white tail with this load and performance has been quite acceptable.

In a .270 Winchester, I tried the 150gr ABLR and things went all to heck. First off, the bullets weighed 144 +/- 2 grains. Second, the ogive length varied by +/- 0.150". After sorting two boxes of bullets, I ended up with two groups of 25 bullets that I felt were consistent enough to attempt load development. So I tried to HBN coat the two groups of bullets and half the tips fell out. I was pretty mad at this point so I called Nosler and they promptly sent me three boxes of 150gr. ABLRs free of charge. With my hope restored, I went about load development. With a fairly standard charge of H-4831, I could get 5/8" groups at 100 yards and 2900 fps. Unfortunately at 600 yards, I could not keep the group on a single sheet of poster board. This rifle still gives 5-6" groups at 600yards with both the Berger 150gr VLD and the Matrix 165gr.

In my daughter's 7mm-08 shooting the 150gr. ABLR using R-17 and H-4350 at around 2700fps (20 inch barrel) we can get 1-1.2 MOA. Not bad for a 14 year old.

Overall, my impressions of the ABLR are not unfavorable for a hunting bullet. I think Nosler is having some problems with consistency from time to time and I think their bc data is WAY inflated.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.