Bad Decision? 20” Barrel 270 win

A Savage LWH in 270? No way. Have one of those in a 6.5 Creedmoor. The 20" barrel had a lot of muzzle flip and blast. Went with a 22" sporter barrel from a Savage Hunter and it was much better. I promise you will not enjoy shooting that 270 rifle. The 20" barrel is even more thin than the regular sporter barrel. A 20" barrel in the 270 defeats the purpose/performance of the 270. If you can cancel the order, I would do it fast.

My second choice was a Weatherby Vanaguard Wilderness in a 270 win with a 24" barrel that weights 6.75lb. But the savage only cost me $399(on sale from $699) where the weatherby will cost me $750

A Savage LWH in 270? No way. I promise you will not enjoy shooting that rifle. The 20" barrel is even more thin than the regular sporter barrel. A 20" barrel in the 270 defeats the purpose/performance of the 270. If you can cancel the order, I would do it fast.

My second choice was a Weatherby Vanaguard Wilderness in a 270 win with a 24" barrel that weights 6.75lb. But the savage only cost me $399(on sale from $699) where the weatherby will cost me $750

The savage is also stainless, where the weatherby is not

And as far as ear protection while hunting....I am now wearing the a round the neck style that pressure into the ear...I cut the foam slightly smaller than if I am using them for construction work so I can hear better while hunting....I have several pairs of electronics and find them way to cumbersome for actual on foot hunting...they work better for stand hunting than they do for people who hunt on their feet most of the day...and electronics increase all noises..especially the stuff under your feet...
So with a barrel set up with a brake and redirectional bell...it should greatly reduce the noise factor coming at the shooter or nearby people..unlike a wide open brake that blast people from the other end of a shooting range...that sucks....

Just my two cents. Ian sure the muzzle blast will be more but when you are shooting at a animal I don't think you are going to notice. Be smart protect your ears. As for the loss of 160 fps at 500 to 600 yards when you make a well placed shot as we all strive for just ask that animal did you notice that bullet was not as fast as it could have been. Just my thought

Man has to do what he thinks is right. There are other choices besides the Weatherby....other Savage rifles for example. If I were going with a LWH I would opt for the Creedmoor. I have the Model 11 LWH with the walnut stock and really like it a lot.

So.....

Called Cabela's and apparently I didn't get one of the ones on sale and they are no longer being made by Savage so my order got cancelled...

So my hunt continues for a lightweight rifle

Whew! Glad you dodged that one. Have owned and built rifles on Savage actions for a few decades. Have a 270 110 sitting in the corner waiting for the snow to melt so I can get to the range. The 270 Win is often a good choice but when you get down to below 24" barrels they do not perform better than the 260 or the Creedmoor. You might look at the Savage Axis II series. Comes with Accutrigger. Wt. is 6.5lbs...more than the LWH but still a light weight rifle. Also can find some good prices this time of year. Good luck!

Whew! Glad you dodged that one. Have owned and built rifles on Savage actions for a few decades. Have a 270 110 sitting in the corner waiting for the snow to melt so I can get to the range. The 270 Win is often a good choice but when you get down to below 24" barrels they do not perform better than the 260 or the Creedmoor. You might look at the Savage Axis II series. Comes with Accutrigger. Wt. is 6.5lbs...more than the LWH but still a light weight rifle. Also can find some good prices this time of year. Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation. But how does the axis compare to other rifles that I have been considering like Savage 11 LWH or weatherby wilderness or kimber hunter? I thought the axis was a pretty cheapy rifle?

The Axis II with Accutrigger is what Savage should have done at the first. The "Edge" which underwent a name change to the Axis was a good basic platform with a terrible trigger. Terrible like in awful! Is it as good as the Savage LWH or the Kimber? No. but it costs a lot less. If my objective was to get a basic light weight rifle at a good price, would I buy the Axis II over the Kimber or the Savage LWH? Yes. Less expensive does not automatically imply "cheap". But if I had the budget I would go with the Savage LWH but not in a 270!

Buy a 24" then if need so cut it back 1" at a time at home. once desired length is achieved bring it to a gun smith to have the crown cleaned up.

Man has to do what he thinks is right. There are other choices besides the Weatherby....other Savage rifles for example. If I were going with a LWH I would opt for the Creedmoor. I have the Model 11 LWH with the walnut stock and really like it a lot.
So.....

Called Cabela's and apparently I didn't get one of the ones on sale and they are no longer being made by Savage so my order got cancelled...

So my hunt continues for a lightweight rifle

They are probably being replaced by the new 110 Lightweight Storm, check their website.

I think you are on the right track. I went through this when I built my lightweight rifle. I built it custom so it did cost a good chunck of change. That being said I would not be scared of a lwh I would just do it in a 6.5 creedmore. The creed was made for a 22" barrel so a 20" would be fine and fps loss would be min. My 22" weighs in a 6lbs with scope and everything but ammo. And it is very easy to shoot. Also as stated hearing protection is great to have. I don't even bother taking off my muzzle brakes anymore as I use the sound gear plugs. I can hear better when stalking and never have to worry about my ears ringing anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.