clean barrel...bad accuracy

If you're new to the game and shooting sub Minute at 400yds, you're doing nicely already.

As a rule, and I know many others disagree heavily with this, but if a barrel is shooting well for me, I don't touch the inside of it. Shoot the **** out of it until accuracy falls off, then scrub it down and start all over.

A very wise man once said, "Barrels are a lot like p*ssy, in that guys flatter themselves in thinking they can hurt one."

Have fun and shoot a lot!

Thought the copper would damage barrel

I'm new to.the game

Actually , the copper protects the barrel but it effects the accuracy and consistency.
The factory always leaves the copper in the barrels after test firing to prevent
rusting in shipping and storage.

Someone said shoot until accuracy falls off and then clean and "Start all over". if your rifle is
shooting just over a half minute fouled it can do better cleaned up and with the right load.

With a clean barrel you dont have to start all over and shoot lots of rounds to get accuracy back
It will shoot it's best for the first 4 to 6 rounds.

J E CUSTOM

If you're new to the game and shooting sub Minute at 400yds, you're doing nicely already.

As a rule, and I know many others disagree heavily with this, but if a barrel is shooting well for me, I don't touch the inside of it. Shoot the **** out of it until accuracy falls off, then scrub it down and start all over.

A very wise man once said, "Barrels are a lot like p*ssy, in that guys flatter themselves in thinking they can hurt one."

Have fun and shoot a lot!

Not sure if the man was wise or in the same predicament as me.... a small caliber member.:D:D

Gotta agree with JECustom on this one. I keep my barrels CLEAN! I usually clean every time I shoot, certainly no more than 20 rounds or so. If my barrel won't shoot clean, there is a problem. I clean em down to shiny metal with no staining on the patches using a strong copper solvent. That said, I have shot my 22-250 a hundred rounds in a day, but carry my cleaning box on those varmint shoots, and clean at regular intervals. I'm more into the number of kills than just burning a lot of powder.

I always cleaned the copper out of my factory Rem after every trip to the range (20 shots max). Finally dawned on me the last 4-5 shots were the best groups regardless of load. I quit cleaning the copper out.
If I run one wet patch and 5 dry patches to semi clean the powder out, it will take 3 shots to get it to group. Tested that again today. My factory barrel doesn't even get a dry patch down it now and it's shooting under a minute. It NEVER shot better than a minute clean.
All I know is what it tells me, and it likes to be dirty.

Well there ya go, goes to show you how many different ways and ideas we have about barrels. I know that COBrad knows a lot more than I do, and like he said, he gets his tubes clean!

Maybe I'm just too lazy to scrub 'em :D But IME thus far, my rifles like to be shot fouled, and after I clean, it'll take a shot or 3 to get back to 'dirty enough'. Perhaps it has something to do (or everything to do) with the quality of barrel used, as most of the stuff I'm shooting is just factory barreled. No doubt that those nice, smooth custom pipes will shoot great clean, but then again, some of those rifles will shoot rock salt into tight groups... grin

Anyhow, I hope you gentlemen are busy making final adjustments and what-not to your elk hunting rigs, and good luck this year! I've got one more load to create before the 13th, thinking 180gr Ballistic Tips in my Grandpa's M70 300 Ackley.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.