Rifle refinised now accuracy is bad what could it be

glenn2000

I bought a .17 Rem at a auction years ago it was a custom gun the action is a Sako the barrel had a persons name stamped on it was told it was a gunsmith in the army but anyway the gun was ugly but shot like a dream at 100yds the hole would just get a little larger most impressive thing I had ever seen with factory ammo decided to have the gun finished to make it look better. What a mistake that was now 3" groups at best is it possible that the custom dip of the barrel could cause this, the stock was redone also but the free floating has not changed re sanded inside to be sure.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 145
Barrel harmonics, dipping one would be similar to a Sims vibration tuner.
Its a 17....copper or carbon.
Bedding or trigger touching, action screws.

I would guess that there is some of the dip in the barrel and/or chamber. I have seen that on a factory gun that was dipped.

I can't see the dipping being the problem, most likely culprit is improper torquing of something putting it back together. Check, loosen, and retorque everything from the action/trigger guard screws to the scope mounts and rings. Did you just take him the whole gun to work on or did you remove the scope and all and hand him just a barreled action or barreled action sitting in stock?

The dipping only adds a layer of coating that is something like .0001" thickness and a weight that's probably measured in micrograms. The film used to apply it dissolves away and all that is left is an extremely thin layer of ink.

The ink is only adding a layer of material that is many times lighter and thinner than coatings like KG "Gun-Kote", or Brownell's Alumahyde and I've certainly never heard of either of those coatings having any effect on accuracy. I can't imagine how such coating could have any affect at all unless you spray painted the inside of the barrel.

Glenn, looking at you picture full size I'm struck by one other possibility. That looks like perhaps a 70's or 80's era VXIII scope on it and the scope itself could be the problem. If it were roughly handled at all something could very well have broken or come loose inside making it impossible to shoot a decent group.

After you have checked the torque on everything if you still have a problem I'd switch out scopes with another you know to be "right on" to determine if the scope itself hasn't been damaged.

Scopes of that era were a whole lot easier to damage than higher end comparable scopes we have on the market today.

If it is, you'll get to take advantage of Leupold's Lifetime Warranty unless it shows clear signs of abuse such as big dents and dings indicative of dropping/falling with it and/or getting it banged on or with a rock, hammer etc.

I had taken the gun in without the scope on it so he did disassemble the gun as you can see he also did cerakote on action. My thought also was possible on the scope so I had a Trijicon scope that I was not using at the time that I but on it and no change I admit I did not use a torque screwdriver on it because I do not have one but ordered 1 today just to be sure it's not that have always just used the method of making sure the front screw is tight first then the others never had a problem that way before but hope that could be all it is if not I may take it to a gun smith and see if they can figure out anything taking off the dip I am told would be very hard last resort new barrel I guess.

Glen2000, that rifle is beautiful... can you take a look at the crown and see if there is anything odd there like a ding or burr?

Should have mentioned that I had also looked at the crown looks normal also only place have not looked is the throat but barrel was not removed so don't think that would be it.

2000, if the scope, torque and rings isn't the problem, check the bore. I had a barreled action Cerakoted and there was a bit in the bore near the muzzle. It shot out and back to accuracy after 18 shots. Just my experience. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.