Backcountry pistol holster options

I carry a 4" 500 S&W and I have the Gunfighters INC Kenai Chest holster, I have the StealthGear 2.0 Chest holster, and the StealthGear double strap drop leg holster.

I carry the gun in all, it goes in the drop leg for fishing, chest for about everything else, I actually have a leather hip holster and carried it at Christmas with the family this year.

But I've had it in a chest rig while felling trees, while milling those trees into lumber, while carrying that lumber to the spot where I then built my shooting house. While working on my outboard, while carrying and dragging brush etc...

I'll move my binoculars before I'll compromise my firearm and wouldn't have it any other way.

The chest rigs work for carrying guns, even heavy ones like that 500. I would recommend the StealthGear 2.0 with the holster shell attached directly to it as my number one suggestion.
I would also add, get the additional pad and have one under each buckle on the side straps.

May sound weird but those buckles for tightening the side straps can dig into your ribs, those pads cure that, of course there are other things you could cook up as well, but the pads they already make for the over the shoulder portion work here as well.

I don't mind recommending that Gunfighters Inc Kenai either, it has been used and abused and is great, I added padding to the back of it to get the comfort and fit I wanted.

The drop leg is great, but for more specific circumstances, I'd stick with chest as a normal #1.

Whatever you do, keep the gun on you, ON you on you, chest is a great place.

This works great for me
C3CDCCA4-0DDD-4F4A-A880-AE1AE1E2EC65.jpeg

Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciated. Looks like some of the manufacturers haven't started making holsters just for the Springfield xdm elite compact 10mm yet. Going to call gunfighters and see about getting one for it.

Simplyrugged.com makes them one at a time for your sidearm as you have configured it. Not mass manufactured. And will customize you holster, mag/speed loader pouches etc as you wish. Cost about the same as the major manufacturers off the shelf models.

I'm looking for a new/better options to carry my 10mm while bowhunting in grizzly country. I usually carry it strapped on my pack but it isn't ideal as I don't always have my pack on. Chest holsters seem nice, but not sure how it'd fit since I always have a bino harness on. What's everyone using?
Do you recommend a light mounted on your pistol?
I carried fishing in ak a shoulder holster.

gunfightersinc sells a hip holster specifically designed to be worn with a backpack, not a true thigh rig but drops the holster just enough to use a hip belt. You have to order is special with their micro panel. Works awesome and super comfortable.

1644646364082.png

I went through this same scenario a couple years ago. I wanted a chest holster so if I wanted to drop my pack and bino harness to set up camp or just take a break, my pistol would still be with me. I didn't like the idea of a holster on my pack belt because I have four hunting buddies with that setup and their guns are always getting jammed with dirt when dropping their packs or getting thrown in the back of the truck. And I didn't like the idea some designs that have it hanging from the bottom of my bino harness.

The holsters I considered:
Gunfighters Inc Kenai
GS Chestholster
Northwest Retention Systems
Alien Gear Chest Holster

I ultimately chose the Alien Gear and I couldn't be happier. It worked perfectly underneath my Crooked Horn bino harness and last year I upgraded to a Marsupial Gear bino harness and after some minor adjustment, it works flawlessly. There's a lot of nay sayers about a chest rig with a bino harness. While it may not work for ALL bino harness/holster combos, I feel like have found a perfect dialed in combo.

I'm looking for a new/better options to carry my 10mm while bowhunting in grizzly country. I usually carry it strapped on my pack but it isn't ideal as I don't always have my pack on. Chest holsters seem nice, but not sure how it'd fit since I always have a bino harness on. What's everyone using?
Do you recommend a light mounted on your pistol?
I just added a crossdraw holster to my pack belt. If I drop my pack there's a minimalist holster on my right hip/belt I can easily transfer it to.

Depending on where I am I'll generally carry a 1911 in 10mm or a wheel gun in .41Rm or .44wm.

The same type setup will work for either and keep it "handy".

This is the holster I use. BLACKHAWK Universal Spec-Ops Pistol Harness. Got it at Amazon. Here is the review I wrote for Amazon:

Was looking for a holster to carry a Rock Island Armory Ultra, full size, high capacity 10mm handgun. Size wise it is a 1911 frame and slide with a grip to handle a 16rd magazine. This holster holds this gun great. The holster can be adjusted to work as a chest holster or a shoulder rig. The 6 D-rings give great versatility. Blackhawk! construction is excellent. Definitely made to handle rough use. The strap that goes over your shoulder is very comfortable and you hardly know you're wearing this rig even though this gun is not a lightweight. Overall this rig offers a lot of adjustment. For walking around in the field, working in the yard, hunting, fishing, hiking, ATVing, etc. I don't think you will find a more comfortable holster. Definitely nicer than carrying a gun on your hip for hours. And the price is almost half of another similar rig that Amazon offers.

The other guns that I have tried in this holster are, 1911 Gov't & Commander .45, Beretta 92F and a M&P 9. Tried a Glock 21 and the hold down strap just barely snapped closed. If there is any way to improve this holster it would be to lengthen the hold down strap 1/2" -3/4". If you've never tried a chest holster you would be surprised how nice they are.

NOTE: This holster is now on sale at Amazon for $44.49.

Regarding the binos, There is just so much stuff you can carry before one thing starts to interfere with another. But this holster allows a lot of adjustment so it might work well with binos.

For bowhunting in Grizzly territory, I moved from a pack holster that left me without the gun unless I had the pack on. I ended up with the Kenai chest holster for my 10mm Glock 20 with a Marsupial above for the ranging binocs. Once I got used the the bulk in front, I was pleased with it. It allowed full use of my bow and easy one-handed to bring my 10mm to 'bear'. It was comfortable enough that I used the same setup while rifle hunting since I could more quickly bring up the Glock than my rifle for close quarters.
My only issue was the large poly connectors on the Marsupial could make some noise while walking but easily quieted them with tape.

This
Level 3 tactical locking holster so if you are climbing a tree, running, etc, it's not falling out. Your trigger finger touches the release and it's out and ready to fire. Strapped to your thigh, it's ready to draw, but not in your way. I would alternate in the magazine the 10mm extreme defender. There's a video on Youtube and both rounds will penetrate AR500 steel plate for a vest, the defender does more internal damage.
Another vote for this one.

I use a razco as I prefer having my pistol on my chest. Sometimes you drop your pack on a stalk or sit down for lunch and end up wandering off to talk to a man about a horse. Binos rarely come off so niether does my pistol and I like it that way.
I have had it drop out of the razco so now I use one of those rubber coated, twisty things that loops over the back of the pistol so it cannot be pulled put by snagging brush. Keeps it secure but allows quick access in case you need to draw.