Wy backcountry camping

bhunting

I drew my wy mule deer tag and now I am starting to do my planning. I drew for region Y and plan to hunt unit 25. Its rough country with few roads so I want to pack in on foot, set up a tent and hunt for a week or so. I am just looking for a few answers about if I need a permit or any other rules that might apply.

Thanks

Part of 25 is "wilderness" which requires the use of a guide for non-residents.

It is just absolutely beautiful up in 25. I hunted a non-wilderness portion there last year and will again this year as a "spotter" for my son who will have a tag.

Read this and look at the pictures.

Wyoming's Big Horn Mountains

wyoming-big-horn-mountains-family-resort-003.jpg

wyoming-big-horn-mountains-family-resort-004.jpg

I just looked again and the wilderness part is a very small portion in the far south end of 25. I am looking at more towards the nw portion. Do I need a permit or anything special or am I ok to just hike in and set up a tent anywhere?

Not many camping rules. There are a few roads where you have to camp a minimum of so far from the road but that's not a problem for you anyway.

Be aware that from what I am told, quite often snow comes early out there, enough so that it would be easy to get trapped back in a ways.

Thanks for the help! I have also heard to watch the weather. We are going in on the 14th of Oct and planning to hunt for 10 days but will keep an eye on the weather. I know the road in to where I plan on parking if we get snow we might not get the truck out of there. I have not hunted this area before but just want to have a good time and a good buck would be a bonus! I have hunted and guided mountain areas before but it's been about ten years and I have a friend tagging along that has never been and I thought the Bighorns are perfect. If you have any tips on that area feel free to help me out as like I said that area will be new but with 10 days we should get a good feel for a beutiful area!

Might check with Forest service and make sure about having camp fires. This year with above snow pack should be ok. No other permits I know of other than Conversation Stamp as long as you don't go into Wilderness area.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.