Back With a New Question and s. New Rifle

Midstream

I took your advice and gave up on 1000 yard shots with my 338 Win Mag and just bought a Sako AV Win Mag. I have never set up a rifle before. I think there is a base for a scope on it, but I have no idea what kind of rings to get. Of course that would depend on what scope I get. I want to be able to make 1000 yard shots and spend around 1000 on a scope, maybe a little more if necessary and worth the difference. I know the rifle is great, now for the optics. I would appreciate your advice. Any advice on ammo would be appreciated as well.

There is no better scope for less than $1000 than the Sightron SIII with the MOA-2 reticle. You will not be handicapped shooting with someone who spent 2 or 3 times more.
You will not be disappointed,

There is no better scope for less than $1000 than the Sightron SIII with the MOA-2 reticle. You will not be handicapped shooting with someone who spent 2 or 3 times more.
You will not be disappointed,

Totally agree. As far as ammo. Get some 215 bergers and some H1000 with FED GM215M. You will be all set to go to 1000 yds. With practice of course.

I agree with the scope. As far as ammo goes, if you are reloading try several bullets. I have not loaded for mine much since I bought it, but the next load will be with the 208 Amax. Are you planning on reloading?

Not reloading now, used to reload handgun rounds years ago. I eventually will get a quality/precision reloading outfit

I just picked up a zeiss hd5 5-25 from red hawk rifles for 699 with a duplex reticle. I haven't even a sightron but I am willing to bet this is a better scope and a better value at this price

Someone mentioned to me that with a Montecarlo stock that the bigger bells like a 50 might put my eye up to high, cheek not on the stock as well and I might fall prey to "rising stock" syndrome and get hit in the eye by the scope. Anything to this?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts