Back from Wisconsin - results and photos

Dave King

I got back last evening (24 Nov 2006).

Here are a few photos.

Here's a scrape and a rub at the first place we hunted, this is the largest rub and scrape I've ever seen.

Rub-640.JPG

Now with a chubby Randy in it for size comparison.

rub-randy-640.JPG

Here's a scrape this same deer made.

scrape-640.JPG

Now with Randy in it.

scrape-randy-640.JPG

I tried out my new knife a few times, Randy using it on a small buck then me about to clean up a doe.

daveknife-randy-640.JPG

daveknife-doe-640.JPG

Here's a nice buck Randy's brother Joe got opening morning, a 13 point. Then an unknown hunter had this second deer at the local food an beer establishment, it's got a ~20" inside spread and two large burrs on the left base, a large proper eight pointer.

joe-hoover-13-2006.JPG

hide-a-while-unknown-2006.JPG

Here's how we got about on the Chippewa River, loud but good for the shallow river.

randy-airboat.JPG

Here's a photo just for Richard Graves, this little fella crawled up the tree next to my stand on the second day.

richards-quarry.JPG

I didn't see many deer, none the first day but it was probably because that big brute chased all the other bucks off and probably some does too.

We didn't hunt with any other folks, just the two of us and ended up with three deer, two doe and one smallish buck. I did manage to shoot a tree with my 38-55 while trying to get a running doe but other than that there was very little excitement.

All-in-all I had a great time, a high speed trip back (~1010 miles in 15 hours) on Friday the 24th. I learned that turkey sandwiches will make a fella sleepy and a large log makes for a dry but difficult bed.

Dave, if you go back after that big fella you better get a bigger gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. That quite a sight.

Your results sound similar to what I've heard from freinds that have hunted all over the state, and seen myself, some success but not seeing alot of deer.

Am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, although I'm not suprised, after all you were hunting!!

Chris

I hunted on my friend's land 5 miles north of Waupaca. The rut was on! We saw 10 different bucks opening day (shot 2) and many does. It sounded like a war zone, there was so much shooting in the neighborhood on Saturday. On Sunday there was an almost deafening (relatively speaking) silence.

Dave ,

My youngest son Jesse went through auto body collision and paint repair and he asked me to inform you thathe "Rub" you show here is most likely frontal assault by a H2.

I asked him why it was not real hummer that did this and he replied that " its simple , the tree is still standing "

Jim B.

P.s. Was it really cold when you guys had to change clothes for the pic after rolling around on the ground making that " scrape " ?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts