Back from a good trip

Ian M

Just back from an Alaskan brown bear hunt - bottom line is that bears should not bring claws and fangs to gun-fights
frown.gif

Don't have good numbers on my bear yet, guys are confident he is well into B&C, squared over 10'.
21 day trip, photography and hunting, two camps, flew out of Cordova - Gravina Point and confluence of Werneke and Copper Rivers for you Alaskans who know that country, went real good.
Now to get ready for prairie dogs - might not be quite as wild but should get more rounds off.

Congrats Ian! Need a gun bearer on your next trip? I'm available. I have good refernces- just ask Dave King!
I carried his gun and HIM through lots of Alberta mud! Wasn't too bad, except for when he was still on the four wheeler!
shocked.gif

Anyway, glad to have you back!

Chris,
After meeting you - I would like to know what you had under the other arm when you carried Dave and the 4-wheeler out of the mud
grin.gif

(For those who have not met Chris, he is a large male person...). George told me you shot a dandy bear in Alta, look forward to hearing about that hunt.
My hunt unfolded beautifully - it was a dream coming to real life. Still in awe of the whole thing, sure met some fine outdoorsmen. Saw some of the most beautiful wilderness in N. America. And I met the bear. He was more awsome than I expected, unbelievably powerful - both beautiful and down-right ugly at the same time.

John M - Details will come out here, right now some magazine commitments that require me to hold back some of the juicy stuff for a while - apologize for that. Bottom line, near head-on running shot, 150+ yds, 350 gr. A-Frame from a .416, bullet hit in the junction of the neck and shoulder, did not move from where he dropped, scope was a 2.5-10 Nikon Tactical in Badgers.

I

Oh, yes - I owe a Brent a beer or three for suggesting the outfitter - absolutely tops.

Brent - can you believe we did not have any bugs, plus weather ranged from freezing to sunburn heat. Lots of high winds but not a lot of rain, hunted every day we wanted to. Basic plan was for the big furry guys to come to us, and they did. Nothing like two huge brown bears charging at your camp while you are minding your own business eating breakfast to get a person slightly revved-up. A few tense moments, guess that was really why I wanted to experience meeting the bear.

Lots of personal firsts for my wildife viewing list - sea otters, sea lions, seals, hump-back whales, killer whales, salmon sharks, brownies - plus dined on fresh caught halibut, rockfish (?) and the ultimate - fresh Copper River King Salmon (more like beef filet than salmon!).

Transportation included Zodiac C-4's (one had a new 55 Evenrude on it, that is a fast means of transportation...) and Cessna 206's, plus a very nice 19' aluminum boat with a cabin that kept me dry during a bit of a rough ride back to Cordova.

Can vouch for a bunch of camping equipment, particularly the new Brunton solar gear and their mini-stove and lantern. We used the newest Cabelas Alaskan outfitter tents and they were excellent in the high winds. Slept on those big cots that Cabelas sells, again they made for real comfort and mine has an organizer along the front to keep about a bazillion things in their place. Everyone wore the same hip-boots - Cabelas bog-busters seem to be the preferred model in the camps I was in. Rain gear was used but not as much as I expected. Mostly temps in the mid 50's and lots of winds out of the south. Scopes on the rifles that took the brownies were Nikons, a Monarch Gold low-powered variable and my 2.5-10 tactical. Binocs ranged from Bruntons, Zeiss, Leicas, Cabelas and Nikons. Spotting scopes were Swarovski, Nikon and Leupold. Guides rifles had Leupold and Swarovski scopes, both M-70's. These guys do not like Remingtons for dangerous game hunting - there were two in camp (375 Ultramags) and both jammed badly. New rifles and the hunters were not happy.

Super impressed with the skill of the two pilots that we flew with - superb flyers and real fine guys. Terry and his son Jarod from Cordova Air. I have flown with a lot of bush-pilots and these guys are tops. Wonderful aircraft, totally confident when with these guys.

Anybody staying in Cordoba should check out King's Chambers B&B, again a super comfortable place to overnight or stay a while.

Len, do not know if you have ever visited Cordoba but if not you better plan on doing that. Photographers mecca. Bald eagles will almost pose in flight for you, sea otters very close to shore, about every shorebird that walks the earth. Plus a couple of great roads to explore and photo from, saw some nice moose and bears are common. Glaciers are also right there, big suckers.

Got the gear put away and now its back to the grind. Got to get some writing and shooting done.

Ian,

I am sure glad you liked AK! AK is a place you either love or hate. I go through a love/hate relationship with it!
grin.gif

It sounds llike you had a spectacular trip. There are some real proffesionals here (in the true sense of the term) There are some real duds too, but it sounds like you hooked up with the right pilots and guides.

As the guides you were with prefer the m70 for bears, most bear guides up here do and for the very reason you describe. The 700 is great untill you are feeding it with more than the ussual amount of exertion! Then they can become a problem. Next year for my guiding repetwar, I will also be using a m70 in 375 H&H "AK guide rifle"

I am glad to hear you had a chance to eat some CR slamon! It is among the finest in the world!
grin.gif

Many time and more times than not Alaskans including myself occasionaly take what we have here for granted. Then, at least my enthusiasm is boosted when I hear of persons such as yourself and what a great time you had.

Regards!

PS, please send pics soon!

[ 06-19-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]

M,
I was also impressed with the fact that Alaskan's really resent the earth-bunnies from California and Colorado telling them how to run their state's resources. The fellows I met had no use for that kind of tourist, but they sure welcomed most visitors.
There is a certain sandbar on the Copper that the earth-bunnies will not get to finish their first group sing-song of Cumbiyau without some big furry intervention, because we left some rather tasty carcasses on it
grin.gif

Len
I shot 502 digital images and 15 rolls of 35m on this trip, hope to get one or two keepers. Haven't had time to take the film in for processing, that is a next week job.

Believe that you would enjoy that hunt as well as the photo opportunities - lots of wild critters and nice light.

M,
Thank you for the kind words. You Alaskans have a wonderful state. I was hunting with an outfitter and guide from Palmer (Wayne Woods Outfitting, guide was Blake Tranmoe. I believe that we hit the peak of the rut, maybe that is why we got such big bears.

I am sending an image of the bear to Dave K, hope that he could kindly post it for you guys to see. Just got them into the 'puter and made into a bit of order.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.