Average barrel life 270 winchester

wartmad

Just looking for ballpark round count of when the average 270 barrel would need to be replaced.
By best estimates I have around 1300 ish rounds thru my Lijia SS barrel.

Barrel life has to many factors to be able to just give a number.
Chrome moly VS SS(yes I know you said SS)
Degree of loads(running hot vs mild)
Not over heating during LD(possibly more life out of a bull barrel?)
Etc
Etc
Its on the lower end of overbore cartridges but it is still in the group so throat erosion is a factor but is you still follow the lands as much as you can you will squeeze the most out of it.

Have a look at these 2 things & come up with your own judgment.

Good luck

My first rifle was a Sako .270 with Bofors barrel. It went downhill at 5K rounds

I have only shot out one barrel truly..but am going to have another soon...the one I shot out was a 264 win mag, was right north of 2,000 rounds and the next one will be a 257 weatherby...but I will say I have seen a shot out 270 I was told it was in excess of 4,000 rounds. The Blaser's cenima gun was a 8x57 and it had 5,800 rounds and was still going strong...so I'll agree wi the above post--if treated correctly--a bunch.

Barrel life has to many factors to be able to just give a number.
Chrome moly VS SS(yes I know you said SS)
Degree of loads(running hot vs mild)
Not over heating during LD(possibly more life out of a bull barrel?)
Etc
Etc
Its on the lower end of overbore cartridges but it is still in the group so throat erosion is a factor but is you still follow the lands as much as you can you will squeeze the most out of it.

Have a look at these 2 things & come up with your own judgment.

Good luck

^^^ THIS!^^^

Have just shot factory loads & always shot 5 or less rounds and tried to keep barrel cool.
Always used a bore guide and tried to clean properly.
Just curious as if I will need to re-barrel some day - but by the info sent it seem's I'm ok unless I get the urge to try something different.
Thanks

I have a Tikka factory superlight SS .270 Win barrel with about 2,000 rounds on it.
It's beginning to shoot fliers that impact about an inch away from the rest of the group.
I'm wondering if this is the barrel going south or something else.

If it's the barrel, then I need to consider re-barreling with another cartridge to complement my long range 28 Nosler rifle.

There is barrel life, and then there is accurate barrel life. These are completely different matters.
What's your load?

Depends on your load, how you use/clean the rifle, and your accuracy requirement. A 3100 130gr load shot hot will be a less barrel life then 140 gr shot at 2950FPS. On average, I would keep an eye out for .25-.5MOA accuracy loss when the barrel gets 1000-1500 rounds. My 270WSM was 500-1000 rounds.

My Tikka SS Superlite factory barrel is 5 years old and has shot a variety of loads. I tend to shoot near maximum loads, sometimes over book max. I've shot a lot of ELD-X bullets and am now trying to develop a load for the Hammer 117gn bullet around 3,350 fps.

I've kept every target I've shot and am noticing an increase in group sizes.
Recently I'm seeing flyers off by 1 inch at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 20200622_064043.jpg
    20200622_064043.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 222
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.