Average barrel life for .338 Rum

What kind of accuracy are you expecting/getting? That's the real question where barrel life is concerned. Answer that, and you may be able to get a ball park figure here. As a rough estimate, I'd say if you're talking about target accuracy, probably 700-800 rounds, possibly twice that as a hunting rifle. But again, it all depends on what you're using it for.

the .338 isn't as much of a barrel burner as the .300 i'm guessing 1200+gun)

From all the 338-300 RUM's I built back in the 90's and all the 338 RUM's I have seen since 2001 I can safely say that I seriously doubt you will ever wear the barrel out in either unless you are a pro target shooter. These are not barrel burners and it doesn't even require being in the discussion with these cartridges if you treat it right and take care of it as a long range hunting weapon only. You take it to the range every week and push a 1000 rounds a year through it and yes you could wear one out eventually then.

IMO,

"they" say useful barrel life on a 300 WM is 2500 rounds. I have 3k through mine and still pull off 1/4 MOA groups. Personally I think the issue with barrel life is over cleaning and unproper cleaning. I also recently started HBN Coating at around 2700 rounds with great results. Free bore is the same as when the Rifle was new. I Push 208 gr Amax at 2890 FPS out of a 28" barrel. Thats with about .020 jump into the lands.

Bench rest is most probably a different story as you fire a lot of shots close together which make matters worse.

Bottom line though for what it cost to feed the big .338's a new barrel will likely be the cheapest part of the equation anyways.

IMO,

"they" say useful barrel life on a 300 WM is 2500 rounds. I have 3k through mine and still pull off 1/4 MOA groups. Personally I think the issue with barrel life is over cleaning and unproper cleaning. I also recently started HBN Coating at around 2700 rounds with great results. Free bore is the same as when the Rifle was new. I Push 208 gr Amax at 2890 FPS out of a 28" barrel. Thats with about .020 jump into the lands.

Bench rest is most probably a different story as you fire a lot of shots close together which make matters worse.

Bottom line though for what it cost to feed the big .338's a new barrel will likely be the cheapest part of the equation anyways.

+ 1 on the poor cleaning-- that'll tear one up for sure

I have lost a few barrels over the years that were cleaned well, and it seemed load intensity, barrel temperature, and velocity/ overbore nature of said round made a difference. And a rough or soft barrel will die a bit earlier as well from rapid fouling accumulation or premature metal wear. I like to shoot when it's cool/ cold out to give my barrels a fighting chance against what I'm throwing at them.
That said, I've never lost a barrel 30 cal or greater, and I do beat on my 30's from time to time.

Ive burned a few edges up shooting turtles from 900 to 1800 on a pond in the summer. Course I was shooting hundreds of rounds a day. They were around 4k though. And yes the barrel is cheap when you compare to 4k SMKs

Ive burned a few edges up shooting turtles from 900 to 1800 on a pond in the summer. Course I was shooting hundreds of rounds a day. They were around 4k though. And yes the barrel is cheap when you compare to 4k SMKs
And pounds of gunpowder.... And brass.

Ahh yes, the elusive turtle! Them things things are faster than Anna nichole smith on a hot date with an old rich guy and make for great long range target shooting.:rolleyes:

Ahh yes, the elusive turtle! Them things things are faster than Anna nichole smith on a hot date with an old rich guy and make for great long range target shooting.:rolleyes:
Most fun ever shooting LR. Every shot you have a perfet spot on cuz of the water, and yeah they are pretty elusive in a 30mph tailwind when they are 1" thick and 4" wide. Makes a prairie dog look like a moose.

Better to measure powder in kegs and brass by the metric ton....specially ultramg brass. 4 rds and super glue for the primer.
I was considering selling my 300 WM to fund the 338LM build but decided against it. Cheaper to feed the .300 for a day screwing around on the farm.... Plus the 300 was my first bolt gun and finding a buyer for a $2000 rifle is difficult these days.

Maybe when I get my .308 dialed in.

Ahwell long range shooting is an expensive hobby but not quite as expensive as say, Drag Racing, Women, Heroin etc. gun):D

Hundreds of round! I shoot 20 rounds with my 338 RUM at the range and have a muzzle break and still kicks like hell! You must have a good shoulder and have a sponsor for your ammo at 2$ a pop! Not to mention some "slaves" to reload!

Hundreds of round! I shoot 20 rounds with my 338 RUM at the range and have a muzzle break and still kicks like hell! You must have a good shoulder and have a sponsor for your ammo at 2$ a pop! Not to mention some "slaves" to reload!

I personally refuse to own any gun that kicks. I never enjoyed being slugged in high school either. Why does your gun kick? Id get a better brake ifn it was me. My SMKs per 500 were about $300 when I bought them so $.60 a slug and 70 rds per lb at $20 = 30 m/l so with brass loss under $1.25 a pop. Heres my trick though...I bought 10k matchkings and 1000 rds brass at once with a fat tax return so I was g2g for years. Down to about 200 m/l SMKs and 50-60 rds brass. Glad its almost gone because I wanna try the CE stuff and the berger. Heck I might even shoot a barnes or accubond but I doubt it.
I know I would set that 338 up so it doesnt kick. I cant shoot worth a hoot with a kicking gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts