Typical life of a .270 barrel?

I dont know, my dad shot one out but he shot everything from ground squirles to elk with it. all with a 100speer soft point. not the greatest elk bullet but it killed him.

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering what the typical lifespan of a .270 barrel is?

[/ QUOTE ]

my 270 generallly stays in during the week and goes out on the weekends when it can afford it. my 270 also will shoot about 1/2" at 200 yrds and has about 5000 rounds through it. it's still going strong.

It mostly depends on what you consider the life span (how much accuracy loss you will tolerate) and how the person takes care of it. Some people will never clean it and let it go. Others care for them like they were their own children.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering what the typical lifespan of a .270 barrel is?

[/ QUOTE ]

my 270 generallly stays in during the week and goes out on the weekends when it can afford it. my 270 also will shoot about 1/2" at 200 yrds and has about 5000 rounds through it. it's still going strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a douglas barrel on a 270 WIN for 30 years. In its early days 500 rounds a month at jack rabbits was typical for 3 or 4 months a year. Plus much chuck and coyote hunting and the typical amount of paper punchings. Was shooting hot loads exclusively and I'd estimate well over 3000 but not near 5000 rounds. When it went to pot it went all at once. Never noticed any loss of accuracy until "one day". Then looked down the bore. What a horrible site for about 3 inches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks, guys.
Well, it doesn't look like I'll be able to use the "shot out barrel" excuse with my wife in order to get another rifle.

Explain that it was an emergency and you was stuck and had to use it as a jack handle. While you really stuck it between the porch steps and jumped on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Man thats so easy! Just check your mail this afternoon, open up the first credit card application you find fill it out. Now send it in....If she catches the card coming in, dont sweat it....Just act DUMB and say I dunno!

Now put the new rifle on the card! Get it all now scope rings everything(trust Me on this one).

OK, Look here if you have gone this far....You really wanted this new rifle and you really didn't give 2 cents worth a darn...What she thought about it in the first place!

Oh yea, shes gonna remind you of that so many times... you'll regret ever wanting the dang thing to begin with!

And yea shes gonna find out, no ifs ands or buts about it!

Just be calm take a big deep breath and repeat these words...

I'M SORRY BABY, I LOVE YOU!, BUT I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF.

That should get You through it. If it don't, shes not gonna be mad forever but she aint gonna forget it either. I have no knowledge of this conversation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OH!, GOOD LUCK!

Nyles,
I think I'm gonna have to try Roy's "jack handle" suggestion first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If that doesn't work, I'm just gonna tell her that y'all said it was O.K..

That could work BUT...you destory a gun....unless you just want a new barrel? Thats another thing all together! If its a barrel you want take her out and tell her to shoot it! That'll confrim that it dont shoot and you NEED a new barrel! Just pray she dont out shoot you with it!

And telling her WE said you could....if thats all it takes she really dont care if you get a new one....Shes playing that CONTROL game with ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.