Average barrel life for .338 Rum

I pulled my logbooks for the edge barrels and I pulled all three at 2750. Mainly because a turtle gun needs to be silly accurate. One of those barrels was cut down and given to a friend who will probly shoot it another 30 yrs....he doesnt have a turtle plague lol.

Hundreds of round! I shoot 20 rounds with my 338 RUM at the range and have a muzzle break and still kicks like hell! You must have a good shoulder and have a sponsor for your ammo at 2$ a pop! Not to mention some "slaves" to reload!

Yep, sounds like you need a better brake.

Yep, sounds like you need a better brake.

My muzzle break is a copy of the muzzle break on the Savage 110 FCP 338 Lapua. It kicks probably because I'm shooting 300 GR. Berger OTM with 85 gr. of Retumbo. Also my stock is a original stock and not a heavy target stock.

I shoot 300 grain smk with 89.0 grains of h1000 or 300grn otm and 90 grns h1000 and have very very soft recoil from a 13.5lb (fully equipped) rifle in a choate tactical stock wearing Ross Schuler's brake.

I run 94.7 of tumbo behind a 300 and no kick. I don't shoot kickers anymore. Flat smoot refuse.

I personally refuse to own any gun that kicks. I never enjoyed being slugged in high school either. Why does your gun kick? Id get a better brake ifn it was me. My SMKs per 500 were about $300 when I bought them so $.60 a slug and 70 rds per lb at $20 = 30 m/l so with brass loss under $1.25 a pop. Heres my trick though...I bought 10k matchkings and 1000 rds brass at once with a fat tax return so I was g2g for years. Down to about 200 m/l SMKs and 50-60 rds brass. Glad its almost gone because I wanna try the CE stuff and the berger. Heck I might even shoot a barnes or accubond but I doubt it.
I know I would set that 338 up so it doesnt kick. I cant shoot worth a hoot with a kicking gun.

Let me know how the CE bullets work out, they got me interested. I have some 252 grainers that bigngreen gave me that i am going to do some testing with in wet newspaper this summer.

My muzzle break is a copy of the muzzle break on the Savage 110 FCP 338 Lapua. It kicks probably because I'm shooting 300 GR. Berger OTM with 85 gr. of Retumbo. Also my stock is a original stock and not a heavy target stock.

I shoot 300 gr Bergers w/a case full of 50 BMG (2735 FPS) in my Remmy sporter @ 8 pounds w/a Holland QD brake. It moves a bit but nothing major. Can spot almost all shots at almost any distance. From a prone position and bipod can spot all shots at any distance.

I had her weighting 11.5 pounds before installing the brake. After the brake install I reduced her to the 8 pound class. Weight works against the brake.

Skinny grandson has shot 25 rounds in an afternoon. It's his fav. rifle.

I shoot 300 gr Bergers w/a case full of 50 BMG (2735 FPS) in my Remmy sporter @ 8 pounds w/a Holland QD brake. It moves a bit but nothing major. Can spot almost all shots at almost any distance. From a prone position and bipod can spot all shots at any distance.

I had her weighting 11.5 pounds before installing the brake. After the brake install I reduced her to the 8 pound class. Weight works against the brake.

Skinny grandson has shot 25 rounds in an afternoon. It's his fav. rifle.

Roy does that 8 pounds include the scope and bi pod?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.