Are Rats small game?

OD you have ng! Great stuff! Lots of similar memories we all shared! I have a rabbit problem AGAIN this year in gardens, tried all the repellents, NADA. The only one that works is .177.
Do you have a dog that could patrol ? Not a hunting dog that you don't want to learn to chase. Like a Rat Terrier or Jack Russel. Or just sit on the porch with a 22 or pellet rifle if you have the time. You might do that already 😉 if afraid to get mine in the ground. Keeps snowing every few days Supposed to this Monday again 🙄

Ground squirrel season starting at my house. There are Mmany and so destructive in gardens. Beman .177, 6x24x50 Tasco I bought at a garage sale for $20 and has parallax down to <25 yds so clarity quite good. Rangefinder, cross sticks and Gamo PBA Raptor pellets at 1300 does good job. My longest LRH kill is 72 yds!!!! No wind day and first shot was rangefinder! 2nd shot was kill shot! Wife shakes head when sees me sitting with cross sticks!😂
I was reading from last page forward. Now I see you have a pellet rifle for the rabbits too !
👍

Last edited:
HOLY COW!! Talk about memories! I used to go to local "dump" with cousin and couple friends. Flashlight taped to iron sight Marlin 60 weapon of choice! We all had one and 2 bricks a night was norm. Barrels so hot you couldn't touch them. Ammo of choice was Montgomery Wards (Monkey Wards!) at 2.99/brick.!!

We would stand shoulder to shoulder as safety precaution, shoot until critters disappeared, turn lights off and stand quietly. That could get unnerving when you heard them around your feet! Once you heard lots of them dragging the dead ones back into burrows, you turned lights back on and unleashed!!!

One in a while one of us would have one try to climb a leg! Talk about entertaining! Blood curling scream and flamingo dance later! I still talk to cousin about this now and bet this was 55 + years ago!

Be nice to buy bricks for $2.99 though😱!!
Awesome ! When I was a kid and we visited realities in upstate NY. we'd go to the local dump at night and watch the black bears digging through it. Wonder if they ever ate rats ? 🤔

I guess I should of checked this thread out sooner ! Great one ! And then you wouldn't of seen a bunch of my posts in a row ! I was fishing at the local lake here yesterday catching a bunch of catfish only and my buddy yells at me, look at that muskrat ! Swimming right towards me. He had a pistol and I jokingly said shoot it ! He had a 9mm so I knew he wouldn't . I left my net in the truck. Watched it swim past me 4 ft. away. Turned right and went to other side of the lake to a dead tree stump laying in water. Tonight I'm going to take my Sig 226 pellet pistol. Don't want to shoot a 22 pistol that close to hwy.
7 posts in a row. Has to be a record 🙄

"Game" at least in the US is defined by each state. On the other hand, I can't think of an animal, (general term from mamals to fowl, fish etc.) that is not eaten by one or more cultures. Horse for example is prohibited in Texas but delicasy in many European countries. I would not eat rat, but at the same time, there are things I eat that many others would not. Andrew Zimmern on Bizzare foods cooked coyote in New York. Again, not for me, but if you enjoy it, go for it.

Awesome ! When I was a kid and we visited realities in upstate NY. we'd go to the local dump at night and watch the black bears digging through it. Wonder if they ever ate rats ? 🤔
A friend drove a garbage truck in the Adirondacks when the dumps were not covered and a magnet for bears. On one trip he pulled into the dump and a anxious black bear jumped up on the passenger side and looked like he was coming in. My buddy bailed out the drivers side.

Yes the 60's we would walk down the tracks to the grain elevators with our Benjamin and Sheridan and Crossman pellet rifles in town and shoot rats pigeons. Nobody said a thing. And we didn't shoot each other. Maybe we were more responsible than the kids of today. Like some said on another page we also had our rifles hanging on racks in the back window and they didn't get stolen. People just didn't take others property. Respect for others was the norm.
Don't know about the "We didn't shoot each other". We would watch "Combat" on Sunday evening through a 12" B&W TV with (3) stations. The next Saturday we would be in the coal stripping's with all the holes like bomb craters (NE PA mountains) play WAR and shoot at each other with BB guns. Had a few that we had to take the BB out with tweezers from under the skin. Then my dad would instruct me to go into the "Cellar" lean up against the "Coal Bin" bend over and take a bunch of straps against my backside for disobeying and playing WAR with BB guns. I never had a BB gun (borrowed the neighbors) my father would not let me have one. Said it was too dangerous, but gave me a Savage Pump 22. I know my dad was right-BB & Pellet guns were just as dangerous, but even as a kid we knew that a BB sting was different than a hot piece of lead going through you. Still shot each other with BB & Pellet guns, but real guns were respected
Well that is how kids grew up during my time in the mountains. Different world than today. Kids play violent video games, de-sensified and have no morals. They kill with real guns and have no feelings or remorse. No respect for property, everything should be free. We couldn't live in the city. We are currently far enough into the country where people are still people and kids are raised hunting & fishing with RESPECT for People and Property.
Do love these stories of our youth when there was respect of each other and freedom to hunt and shoot responsibly. Still remember the days, like yesterday, walking to and from school with a .22 rifle of shotgun to hunt or check a trap line.
What it all comes down to is parents teaching their children and paying attention to the elected officials policies.

Hey, maybe we were at same dumps! I shot at dumps in Northville, Wells, Speculator! Always had someone on "watch" to makes sure a bear didn't wander too close. They seem to get what we were doing!😂 Left us alone but if one strolled toward us we would graciously give ground. I recall seeing upwards 10 bears at once so we kept eyes peeled. The only issue was between bears getting too close to each others "buffet" table. Then some swats, hair flying and bawls.

Ah the good old says.

A friend drove a garbage truck in the Adirondacks when the dumps were not covered and a magnet for bears. On one trip he pulled into the dump and a anxious black bear jumped up on the passenger side and looked like he was coming in. My buddy bailed out the drivers side.
That's where the dump was ! Have Realitives in Gloversville and at Croga lake. Think I spelled that wrong. Last time I was there I was around 16 years old. About 48 years ago !
My aunt and uncles house on Croga lake. In Adirondack's.
6433.jpeg
6432.jpeg
6431.jpeg