what would be considered small game

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by stxhunter, Apr 6, 2007.

1. stxhunter

stxhunter Well-Known Member

what would be considered small game thats not a predator or varmint. rabbits or dove quail turkey

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

my tho'ts would be bunnies or hares, not jack rabbits.

No fowl unless they are shot w/a rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Mice, moles, shrews, large grass hopers, and big spyders.

Odley enough I remember shooting bumble bees with my pellet gun when I was very young.

When I was 13 I shot a half doven mice in my parents basement, used a 6 foot blow gun w/ darts.

It was the only time other than bear hunting that I set out bait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. britz

britz Well-Known Member

I shot many-a rats on my dads farm with a 22 rim fire or a 12 guage. I too remember shooting grasshoppers w/ pelets, 22's and even a few w/ an SKS lol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I believe that if it's a little critter (with fur) and I eat it after I kill it it'd be small game.

If its a little critter that will not be eaten after its been kil't then its a varmint.

If I'm hunting squirrels and kill one it goes in the crockpot. If there's a squirrel chewing on the corner of my shed and I kill it I leave it there as a warning to the other shed eating squirrels!!

6. Spino

Spino Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with Dave here. As long as you kill it and eat it it's considered game.

I'm curious though why do you ask? We hunt the same part of South Texas...

7. stxhunter

just wanted to see what others hunted in other areas and start a dialoge in this section since no one had posted in it yet

8. Spino

Spino Well-Known Member

ahh ok.. Just thought you may of had some questions about small game in our area?

9. Inukshuk

Inukshuk Well-Known Member

Anything smaller than a turkey.

10. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

small game

If you can pick it up with one hand and eat it it,s small
    game.

But if your Sasquatch/Big foot some deer might be considered
    small game.

Every thing else is called Big game or a target of opportunity.

I can still tast that damn crow I saw on another thread.

J E CUSTOM

11. Supermag

Supermag Well-Known Member

Do you guys consider javelinas or feral pigs small game? I think they are, but they kind of blur the line between small and big for me.

12. stxhunter

i'd consider a javilina a varment or pest. i guess if you where starving you could eat one they taste about like they smell. we don't see them on are place the nieghbors pretty much killed them off in our area gots lotts of hogs though.i'd consider feral hogs large game as they can get well over 200lbs and i've seen some over 400. a javilina might get a little over 50 lbs

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  13. bagul

bagul New Member

aren't feral hogs considered dangerous game ? if they are, I'd like to clasify them as big game (or at least hunt them as big game! he he he)

14. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

Jack rabbits ARE hares. And they aren't bad to eat at all, just kinda like antelope, you don't want to kill them after they've been runnin'.