are Bergers tougher than the Amax?

älg

I wonder what is your experience here in close ( - 200 m) shots.... do the bergers hold well , or better than the Amax???

Thinking of using the 6,5 140 VLD Berger for red deer, I do not trust the 140 Amax for this.
Thanks for your comments.

I have shot many of both in different calibers and weight's. the Bergers use a J4 jacket that is known to be very consistant (for accuracy) but not overly tough.
Hornadys Amax and Vmax use a proprietary copper/butter blend jacket that is the softest of any bullet that I have seen.
So yes the Berger is tougher than the Amax IMO, and better suited for big game hunting.
UB
p.s have witnessed 6.5x284 shooting 140gr VLD Berger take trophy Desert Bighorn impressively

Last edited:
I will agree with UncleB, the J4 jacket on the bergers is tougher than the AMAX. At extreme for round range i have had alot better luck with the amax expanding on small game (pdogs and such) and this is due directly to the soft jacket and polymer tip promoting expansion.

I have seen trouble with the berger opening up effectively on some game and varying ranges. but i will say this is due to it being in a pretty small caliber (6-250 and 308) and the very small meplat opening on the bullet. while i have seen some difficulties with the berger opening up i have also seen it preform great, and nothing much is gonna hold its energy like the berger will at long range!!!!

steve

I wonder what is your experience here in close ( - 200 m) shots.... do the bergers hold well , or better than the Amax???

Thinking of using the 6,5 140 VLD Berger for red deer, I do not trust the 140 Amax for this.
Thanks for your comments.

Good question and responses. I'll stick with the Bergers based on both feedback replies.

John Barness wrote an article in Handloader magazine (I think) about using the VLD for hunting. He and Walt Berger and others went to New Zealand(sp) and shot feral goats. He also tested the bullets in the Bullet Test tube and found that in both situations, the bullets would penetrate 2-3 inches before any expansion and then would violently expand. Walt also shot a red stag with that bullet and although he hit it too far back(liver), the stag went right down with a 115g .257 Roberts if I remember correctly.

I doubt you will have any trouble with the Berger VLD. That would be my choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.