Sexier Than the SST's

texas

Sexier Than the SST\'s

Ian, Jerry its been 12 days since you mentioned this and hopefully Jerry has shot up those shiny new pills as you say.

So whats the new one favorite? Also caliber and weight are they going to be available in?

Re: Sexier Than the SST\'s

Afraid that Jerry's area is so smoky from forest fires that he couldn't see targets past fifty yards or so! Pills were new to Jerry, three different brands. I'm sure he will let you know how this went when he can see the horizon again
smile.gif

Re: Sexier Than the SST\'s

Sorry Texas, we be smoking... visit www.castanet.com to see our "neighbourhood" on fire. There is a closure on all off road activity and out of respect/concern, I am not going to our range to shoot.

From observations, I will say that the new Hornady Interbond is longer then the SST. This should relate to a higher BC. Shooting will show how much. Nice looking bullet.

The Nosler Accubond 200gr shows very nice promise. Due to the extreme cost of the 240gr MK in Canada, this may be a less expensive alternative. I am sure that it shoots very accurately and the BC will be up there. At 1.5" long, it is as long as the 220gr MK.

The Barnes triple shock 180gr bullets look interesting and should address the problem Barnes has with pressure. I think Ian has shot these with good results so might indicate that Barnes has also tightened up quality control.

Will test the Hornady and Barnes in my Gibbs, the Nosler in my RUM and Retumbo. I am sure that all will shoot well.

For reg. hunting, I will probably still lean towards the SST due to cost and my slower muzzle vels ('06). For my RUM, it will be interesting to see how those Noslers compare to the 240gr MK. Would certainly serve both target and LR applications.

As to the Barnes, I really don't think they will serve much purpose in my arsenal. I don't shoot big magnums up close and they don't have a high enough BC to make them interesting at long range. Throw in their atmospheric cost and you get my point.

Will test and let you all know my results. Unfortunately, between the fires and hunting season, it may be just before Santa comes with another big box for everyone...

Jerry

PS my RUM pictures are back and will try to post somehow.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.