Anyy experience with barnes tsx??

Tikkamike

I have a rifle that just does not want to shoot. Were talking like 2 inch groups. I have tried several different bullets bullet weights and powders. I know that a lot of people have great success with them especially weatherby guys. I'm guessing g because of the type of ogive they have. Anyway I'm wondering of my factory Remington will like some Barnes bullets. Has anyone had a rifle that didn't seem to like anything other than Barnes or that type of Ogive??

Tangent Ogive, needs at least a .050 jump to the lands, may work for you. I have not had great luck with them though. Devent but not good. generally worse than what I could get with other bullets. Have killed a few deer with them, and they do the job well enough, but not worth the cost in my opinion for accuracy unless you are working up and elk load. Not necessary for deer,

I have had good luck with the 225 gr ttsx in my Defensive Edge built 338 rum using CCI 250 mag primers and H-1000 powder - bullet seated .05 off the lands.

I also have a 300 win mag Rem Sendero. Again CCI 250 mag primers, H-1000 and the 180gr ttsx bullet seated .03 off the lands.

Both shoot between .25 and .30 at 100 yards. Have not had a chance to shoot further.

My son has shot them for years out of his Browning A-bolt 30-06. The gun shoots 1moa with them - they shoot better than the Remington core-lok factory ammo. He shoots Federal 180gr ttsx factory ammo - not reloads. He loves the way the perform on deer.

I suggest picking up a box and giving them a try. My 338rum loads are loaded 2 grains under max load published in the Barnes book. My 300 Sendero is at max. I was able to go a few grains over max load before seeing pressure signs - however accuracy dropped off rather quickly.

IMO, it's hard to find a bullet with better terminal performance than the TSX and it's cousins. I am a big fan.

Having said that, I have not been able to get them to shoot as accurately in my rifles as some other bullets, such as the Accubond, Berger, A-Max & SMK. Since all of the bullets mentioned come with a substantially higher BC than the TSX, most longrange hunters/shooters tend to shy away from them. Plus the cost kinda gets up there in a hurry.

I have one dedicated lightweight carry rifle. It carries a Leupold CDS scope with a max anticipated range of 600 yds. or so. I shoot the Barnes TTSX in that rifle. It does a great job for me, but it is not a LR rig.

I like the Barnes TSX performance, but I ended up switching to the Nosler E-tip due to price and better B.C. Both bullets love to jump to the lands.

My favorite bullet for putting bears on the ground is 270 gr TSX in a .375, but the B.C. sucks. The 260 Accubond is a much better choice for longer range in this caliber.

I'm confused on what your asking. You shot a bunch of different stuff and none worked well for you, so you're thinking about trying barnes to improve accuracy? If so, don't bother. Try some nosler ballistic tips or accubonds.

Like I said, I'm confused, not sure if I'm understanding your question.

I'm with loaders loft. If you want accuracy, try an accubond or a berger. I had a 25-06 that would not shoot 3 inch groups with the TSX but it would put 5 accubonds in under .4 inches, bergers in .6. Nothing else would shoot under 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I have tried every other bullet I know of with that gun, and it just didn't like anything else.

I'm not a Barnes fan . I did get them to shoot ok . I used them hunting , but I never seen the type of damage that a lead core bullet does . with the TSX bullet I threw very little meat away , and I could eat right to the hole . there was no bloodshot meat . I recovered one from a whitetail . I'm not impressed with what it looks like . with the petals broke off it's about like using a solid , and that's what the wounds look like .. the wound in this whitetail is about the same as I had in an elk and a moose . I'm guessing the bullets all acted the same way . I recovered all the animals so , did the bullets fail ? I'll let you decide . here is a pic of that bullet . Jim

P1120190.jpg

P1120191.jpg

P1120192.jpg

7.jpg

I consider these nosler bullets as the benchmark for accuracy against which other bullets are judged. There are plenty of other bullets that are also accurate, I've just found it very easy to get accuracy with a ballistic tip, over several different calibers, so that's become my "go-by".

You may have some other problem with the rifle or setup. First try swapping out the scope with a scope of known accuracy, using properly torqued rings/base. That's been my most common problem when accuracy problems occur.

Maybe try waiting several minutes between shots, or bed/free float the rifle, trigger job, etc...

For example, the last "new" remington I got, came with about 7-8lb trigger pull, which made it really tough to get good accuracy. adjusting the trigger down to 3-4Lbs helped alot.

if your gun wont shoot noslers, don't expect a TSX to make things any better....:cool:

I've never loaded a Barnes in anything and had it be my accuracy load, period!! They work mostly OK on game but accuracy and BC just is not there strong point! But, if your gun likes them, rock it! I'll take accuracy any day of the week.

they work good in my mosin 91/30,but i prefer sierra prohunter.i get gooder accuracy and just better performance.my 22-250 shoots the 62gr very well

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.